Compare Render (T2 vs Vue 8)

Started by MGebhart, January 19, 2010, 01:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

I wanted to compare a side-by-side render of Terragen 2 and Vue 8 using similar render settings.

Vue 8:

640x480
Render Quality = Final (Internal Render Engine) Raytrace = Yes
Preset Sky = Daytime
Preset Procedural Terrain, Rocky Desert (Material Preset, Stone Rubble)
EcoSystem = Bulky Conifer
Render Time = 11:30

Terragen 2

640x480
Quality 0.6
AA 4
Fractal Terrain (Default) Fractal Color Shader, Displacement Amplitude  0.5
Low Level Cumulus Layer, Edge Quality 35, Samples 64
Object Population (Tree) = Xfrog, California Red Fir
RayTrace Objects = yes
Render Time = 13:47 

Computer Configuration:
HP
AMD Duel 2.8 GHz
4 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GTS 250 1GB memory
Windows Vista Ultimate, 32 bit

Voice your Opinion.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

FrankB

ok, so in order to bring down the TG2 render quality to the level of this vue render, you can set the detail setting in TG2 down to 0.4 and then compare render times again.
Could be the TG2 vegetation might even look better at detail 0.4, maybe even at 0.35.

Cheers,
Frank

Kadri

I think in order to make a comparison the same scene(objects and so) should be used .
It is not so easy as it seams in my opinion , MGebhart .

Kadri.

MGebhart

Hi Frank,

What I find interesting is the Vue 8 is set to what they consider Final Render. The Quality is pretty awful for a "Final" render setting. You can see the render times are not to far apart with close render settings. Also, navigating and moving the camera in Vue really taxed my system where Terragen was a dream to use.

Go figure.

I'll post a render with your suggested values in T2.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

MGebhart

Kadri,

It's darn near impossible. The packages are just too different. All you can do is estimate. I think with my years of 3D experience and being familiar with multi applications, I get it pretty close.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Kadri

Ok ! It seems you know this kind of problems  ;)

Kadri.

MGebhart

Here is a comparison using Franks .35 quality setting suggestion.

Most high-end rendering packages use terms like Draft and Production for test and final renders. However these are presets and can be adjusted as with Vue 8. Vue 7.5 had VRay available but only as a plug-in for MAX and I think XSI. VRay makes a giant difference in quality. This, of course requires more upfront money.

Marc  

Render Time: 7:33 All other settings remain unchanged.
Marc Gebhart

Kadri

TG2 render time ?
Edit : You edited it now as i wrote .

Kadri.

MGebhart

Yes, T2 render time. Vue 8 was not rendered again. Only the quality setting of .35 was changed in Terragen.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Kadri

Guys there are some nice renders done on the internet with Vue . How is that possible ?
In this Vue final render setting the quality of Vue isn't on par with TG2  on draft quality.

Kadri.

MGebhart

Kadri,

Very true observation. Later when I do some rather complex renderings in both programs (This will be in the Terragen 2 vs Vue 8 Comparison Guide) we should see some dramatic differences. In my mind I know what the results will be. As an example, if you look at Seth's Troh Peekal rendering you will see some amazing work.

In some Vue forums I have read where Vue users where wondering how to achieve Terragen quality in their Vue renderings.

Marc  
Marc Gebhart

Seth

thanks but, long time ago I've read this : http://www.thomaskrahn.com/Tutorials.The_making_of_Aragiaua.htm

and i still think by myself that Vue can do good renders if it is used by a good user ;)

edit : when i read this tutorial, i tried Vue and did one render (hehe 2 years ago): http://seth93.blogspot.com/search/label/Vue
I never gave Vue another shot I think ^^
but I know that Buzzzz did some renders with Vue and they were damn good !
http://buzzzzz.deviantart.com/art/Tropical-Vue-69726483

TheBlackHole

Quote from: MGebhart on January 19, 2010, 03:05:10 PM
In some Vue forums I have read where Vue users where wondering how to achieve Terragen quality in their Vue renderings.
If they want Terragen quality, why don't they just get TG2?
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

warnerbrown

Quote from: MGebhart on January 19, 2010, 02:47:55 PM
Here is a comparison using Franks .35 quality setting suggestion.

Most high-end rendering packages use terms like Draft and Production for test and final renders. However these are presets and can be adjusted as with Vue 8. Vue 7.5 had VRay available but only as a plug-in for MAX and I think XSI. VRay makes a giant difference in quality. This, of course requires more upfront money.

Marc  

Render Time: 7:33 All other settings remain unchanged.

In Vue 8 the image seems too blown out, the highs in the trees and skies. The edges of the leaves seem pixelated.
Checking that link Seth gave though, I agree if you know what you're doing with lighting the foreground and background you can come out with some pretty nice images. I do think in the end however TG2 offers more vividness and photorealism when used right