To Crash or Not To Crash

Started by Tangled-Universe, January 26, 2010, 02:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Just getting bored, almost finished the GI pre-pass.....to crash or not to crash? Voting is open now :P

[attachimg=#]

Henry Blewer

It's hard to see what is going to really happen. The GI pass computes the rough terrain. Let it render a while and see.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kadri

If you don't post and browse while you render it will finish  ;D

Kadri.

Tangled-Universe

Ghehe, I'm very curious too. In about 1,5 hour I'll be back home and we'll see :)
10 minutes after posting this the RAM-usage reached 3.47GB...I think I never went so far before.

buzzzzz1

I have reached 3.8 Gig and then it craps out. If you checked Preallocate subdivide cache you might be OK?  Curious to see what happens here.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Kadri on January 26, 2010, 08:10:27 AM
If you don't post and browse while you render it will finish  ;D

Kadri.

I think that depends on how much memory he has installed. I run 8 gig so I can render use photoshop and browse at the same time.   ;)
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Tangled-Universe

It crashed after 15 and some hours...
I took the screenshot after 6,5 hours.
Funny was that the render hardly proceeded in those next 8 hours.
Probably thread after thread failed.

Memory usage at the crash was: 3.7GB RAM and 4.0GB VM size
I have 8GB RAM.

In some way nice to see when TG2 freaks out :)
Guess I'll render this again in 2 instances, expect it to work then.

Cheers,
Martin

Seth

Kadri

Sorry  :)
Do you use high quality textures in this render Martin ?
I didn't do a search here but i know from lightwave that by using only 256 color images you can sometimes sidestep such ram conditions .
The image impact with low color isn't most of the times so noticeable . Just in case for the others to know  ;)

Cheers.

Kadri.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Kadri on January 26, 2010, 10:58:09 AM
Sorry  :)
Do you use high quality textures in this render Martin ?
I didn't do a search here but i know from lightwave that by using only 256 color images you can sometimes sidestep such ram conditions .
The image impact with low color isn't most of the times so noticeable . Just in case for the others to know  ;)

Cheers.

Kadri.

Besides masks from WM2 I never use masks :)
The reason this took so much because the setup is quite displacement-heavy but mainly because I'm experimenting a bit with lighting and slightly higher GI settings (GI @ 3/4/4).
I don't know if it possible to do such a sidestep with colors like in lightwave, but I'm also not sure if it really is desirable?

Martin

Kadri

I don't know the state in TG2 but i tried it in Lighwave many times and it doesn't look bad as you think...Try it...
But when you are to much near the textures in the image of course there can be problems . So it depends  :)

Kadri.

Tangled-Universe

Just started the new render in two instances.
This time @ 2100x1200 (was 1680x960), det. 1, AA8, GI 3/4/4 with pre-pass and surface details (the latter for the fine foliage).

I often render @ GI 2/4/8 with pre-pass only and no surface details, which gives very nice results.
I'm not really convinced I really need these higher settings now but I just want to see the difference for myself.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Kadri on January 26, 2010, 11:09:47 AM
I don't the state in TG2 but i tried it in Lighwave many times and it doesn't look bad as you think...Try it...
But when you are to much near the textures in the image of course there can be problem . So it depends  :)

Kadri.

Ok I'll try it in post. Perhaps a way of getting these type of image to compress more easily.

Kadri

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 26, 2010, 11:12:51 AM
Quote from: Kadri on January 26, 2010, 11:09:47 AM
I don't the state in TG2 but i tried it in Lighwave many times and it doesn't look bad as you think...Try it...
But when you are to much near the textures in the image of course there can be problem . So it depends  :)

Kadri.

Ok I'll try it in post. Perhaps a way of getting these type of image to compress more easily.

I use it in render .

Kadri.

neuspadrin

Crash.  Oh wait, are we looking at tgd.exe or iexplorer :P :P  duh iexplorer will crash ;)