Definitions for Dummies

Started by twistednoodle, February 21, 2007, 08:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twistednoodle

Thought I'd try to find out what some of the parameters on the interface actually mean ....

Can someone tell me what these are:

GUI (UI = user interface got that much) but what's the G for?

In the render tab, what is:

GI relative detail?
GI sample quality? (I'm assuming increasing this value increases the quality)

In the colour shaders:

What is clamping?

How do you save custom colours (I can only save one at a time?)

Would it be ok to put these definitions on the Rendo forum so we can share this info?  ;D

Thanking you in advance!
I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!

Will

1. Graphic

2. how any samples and their accurecy (I assume at least)

3.  a) I think its brings all colors higher or lower on the slider to that color (once again I think this is what it does)
     b) I have no idea.

you can copy and past this if you want to put it in the Rendo fourm if you want but I don't feel like setting up an account today.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

twistednoodle

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2

Node reference page already started here .... this will be EXCELLENT when complete!

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

Oshyan

GI Relative Detail is an overall detail control for the Global Illumination system that is relative to - and therefore interacts with - the main Detail slider to determine overall GI detail (number of samples, essentially). So for example if you set GI detail to 1 and main detail to 1, you would get a resulting GI detail (sampling level) of 1. If GI detail was 1 and main detail was 0.5, you might get a resulting GI detail of 0.5, in an absolute sense. Note that these are not actual values but only used for example.

The important thing to know is that it is *relative*, so as you increase main detail so too will your GI detail increase *inherently*. A lot of people tend to use lower GI settings when setting up a render and then increase it for the final, but actually this can cause unexpected results since higher accuracy may change scene lighting, shadow placement, etc. It is better to use a consistent Relative Detail setting and I would not recommend setting it above 5 or 6 at most - values of 2-4 are usually fine, and even 1 can produce very good results.

GI Sample Quality controls the quality/accuracy of each sample. I suppose you could say it controls how "fuzzy" the GI sample is calculated, although that's probably not a technically accurate description. I'll admit that the specifics of this setting are not entirely clear to me as yet.

The Clamp function is available because TG allows color (and other) values greater than 1, which can be very useful for specific effects. If you want your color functions to have a maximum of 1 (white) of minimum of 0 (black), you would use the clamping settings. Sometimes you will get odd effects when you have color values outside the 0-1 range and the clamp setting would be useful in these cases.

See the following thread for information about Custom Colors: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=818.15

- Oshyan

Will

oh and just a word about colors, you can give negitive diffusive values.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

twistednoodle

Cool!  Thanks for taking the time to answer this!  ;D

helentr

Comparing to POV-Ray, relative detail/number of samples, corresponds to "count", and GI sample quality should correspond to "error bound", which specifies how blurred the taken samples are. In POV-Ray a high number in error bound, specifies a low accuracy.

The images below, show:

First, default settings for radiosity (or GI), which is 35 samples at a blurring of 1.8 (low detail - low quality), which doesn't look bad for this kind of scene, but would look awful in a more detailed scene, where a color would "bleed out" where it shouldn't.

The second image keeps the same number of samples/detail, but reduces blurring (from 1.8 to 0.1)/increases accuracy/quality (numbers in this setting in POV-Ray are opposite from Terragen, better is lower, instead of higher). This doesn't look good, since individual samples can be seen.

The third image increases samples/detail from 35 to 350 (which for this image size is enough, a bigger image would need more), keeping the blurring low - accuracy/quality high. Although the differences from the first image are not great, looking closely, one can see that the third is more accurate than the first: the red tiles give a red color to the sphere and the shadow is darker near the bottom of the sphere.

There are other qualities in radiosity/GI, but I believe the main one is to keep your objects' textures at ambient 0 (black) and depend on GI to light up the shadows for a more natural look. I don't believe Terragen supports interreflections in GI, but I could be wrong.

Helen