Some neat strata rock wall

Started by Tangled-Universe, February 01, 2010, 03:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EoinArmstrong

rcallicotte

Excellent as always.  A little contrasty on the right and upper sides of the image, but the left bottom looks like a photo.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Absolutely beautiful procedural magic. More, please! How long is render time? Animation? ;D

- Oshyan

EoinArmstrong

Tangled-Universe

Thank you all! A new iteration will be posted tonight! (GMT+1).

Quote from: Oshyan on February 04, 2010, 03:13:04 AM
Absolutely beautiful procedural magic. More, please! How long is render time? Animation? ;D

- Oshyan

Thank you oshyan. More is on its way :) The rendertime is pretty dependant on certain nodes.
For example I used intersect underlying in favor depression mode to fill pieces of gaps created by the strata and displacements.
This particular node increases rendertime quite some.
Also I used some reflective shaders among different layers which also adds.
(using subtle non-white specular reflections creates very nice and subtle color-variations)

By the way, this images indeed also has some white spots in the original render. Around 40, while in some images I had a lot more. Shall try and see if incresing displacement tolerance will solve this. With reasonable rendertimes hopefully.

Cheers,
Martin

Tangled-Universe

The render I announced was a failure :) lol

I made another, quite extreme, but I think it is kinda cool.
Am rendering a second version with some more vegetation.
Tonight I'll see if I can add some more breakup and stuff.

Cheers,
Martin

Oshyan

Ooo, liking that. Very realistic!

- Oshyan

Henry Blewer

This looks very cool. The only problem I have is this cubic fracturing occurs with igneous rocks. The color suggests that this is a sandstone, or possibly a metamorphic rock formation.
When the lava cools quickly on the surface it fractures. Often this happens with a voronoi pattern. But if the lava hits very cold water, it crystallizes into a cubic pattern like you have here. An example would be the Giant's Causeway in Ireland. (I think those are eight sided...)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

inkydigit

I like this last one and agree with njeneb, the formations remind me of Alcantara Gorge in Sicily (http://images.google.ie/images?q=alcantara%20gorge%20sicily&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi)
I visited during my honeymoon, I must dig out some photos of this and also some interesting rocks on Mt Etna.

domdib

Fantastic!

@njeneb - with my pedantic hat on - six-sided. Or, to be more precise: "Most of the columns are hexagonal, although there are also some with four, five, seven and eight sides." (Wikipedia)

Hannes

Tangled-Universe

Next one...added some more bushes, a little breakup of the strata (but still not enough and needs finetuning)...well, just click on the image please :)

Seth

i really liked the previous one !!!

FrankB

It looks fantastic but I have two comments:
- probably it looks much better if the strata would shine through in only like 50% of the scene
- there is a little bit too much reflectivity for a sand stone - I think :)

Cheers,
Frank

Zairyn Arsyn

i really like the displacements on the render above, i find it interesting..  8) :)

id like to see it with a different surface, like a strata ice wall or something

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/