Marc
Marc Gebhart

domdib

folder

excellent 
are you using the crookedness setting or the screw one

folder

MGebhart

I exported the trunk out of xFrog and imported into 3DS MAX. I think this can be done in xFrog using deformations but, I haven't played with that part of the program yet.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

MGebhart

I'm working on the tree in Zbrush to create displacements maps. This will not be the final displacement but, I wanted to show you some of the steps involved in creating the Bristle Pine in High Resolution.

The Zbrush model is 3,460,000 polygons. YIKES!

Marc
Marc Gebhart

choronr

Mark, this is looking super. Many of the trunks of ancient, weathered, living conifers throughout Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California look like this ...great work you are doing here.

Bob

domdib

Wow - looking forward to the hi-res version even more!

Dune

Nice work, Marc. Great trunk. Do you export as obj from XFrog into ZBrush, and what about leaves, are they still there when you do so? And can you import such a trunk into XFrog again to add leaves or branches?
In XFrog you can do some twisting and bending (with 'patch' just before your trunk, the edit the 'patch'), but it's tricky.

---Dune

Henry Blewer

This is looking really good. Are you going to do a couple more variations? I would definitely get this from the NWDA Store.  8)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

mhaze

Superb your best yet. Can't wait until it's done

Mick

MGebhart

@Dune,

Zbrush is used to import an obj from xFrog then create high res mesh. I use alpha images to apply displacement. Once you are happy with the displacement you then export a high res image map of the displacement. You do not use the mesh from Zbrush. The Zbrush model is around 3 million polygons. You also have the option to polypaint a texture as well and export. Only the trunk and branches are imported into Zbrush. The model used in Terragen is the one you create in Xfrog with the applied displacement and texture maps.

@Henry,

There will be 3 variations of the Bristle Pine.
Marc Gebhart

MGebhart

Here is the final texture with Zbrush generated displacement.

These are the programs in order of use:
Xfrog
3DS MAX
Zbrush
PoseRay
Terragen 2

Marc
Marc Gebhart

domdib

Wow again! What a complex workflow - shows your dedication to a fantastic result (although  I see you don't reveal the roots - are you still working on them?)

MGebhart

I'm worling on the root system.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Dune

Thanks for the explanation, Marc. Still, I think this can be done in XFrog only. I might have a try at such a tree as well. In fact, I have been working on a typically Dutch tree, a 'knotwilg' (shortened willow?). Hollowed on one side, crooked, with a thick top where all new branches explode from. I'll post some day...

---Dune