Bristle Pine Project

Started by MGebhart, February 02, 2010, 04:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkydigit

Marc these are looking really really good!

Quote from: Dune on February 10, 2010, 02:20:32 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Marc. Still, I think this can be done in XFrog only. I might have a try at such a tree as well. In fact, I have been working on a typically Dutch tree, a 'knotwilg' (shortened willow?). Hollowed on one side, crooked, with a thick top where all new branches explode from. I'll post some day...

---Dune

and Dune, when I was living in the Netherlands I saw some really strange trees, mainly in cities DenHaag & Rotterdam where the branches are restrained along one axis, keeping the avenue nice and neat..'echt nederlandse'!

domdib

MGebhart

@Dune,

No doubt. I have been using MAX and Zbrush for some time and I'm already familiar with the software. I have yet completely discovered all the features in xFrog. Finding good tutorials is rare.

Marc  
Marc Gebhart

MGebhart

New Image with second version. Still tweaking.

Marc

Marc Gebhart

domdib

I think the correct term is "gnarly".

MGebhart

Marc Gebhart

choronr

The more I look, the more excited I become ...Marc, these are just what we need. You might consider having a few of the needle clusters a dry (tan.gray) color. And, a few downward pointing branches would put the icing on the cake (the ones closest to the lower part of the trunk would be the heaviest). Those extended roots are looking real fin.

choronr

One more thought Marc; there is a book/manual written and illustrated by 'John Naka' on his 'bonsai'. If you ever get a chance, have a look at it. His work is known worldwide. In addition to photographs, he has many drawn images of his projects - these would serve as a great guide for modeling trees. You'l find some there that look like your models.

Bob

MGebhart

Bob,

Thank you for the suggestions and recommendations. I'll try the needle clusters in a dry (tan.gray) color. This will most likely make the tree more natural and provide character.

This has been a fun project and I have discovered some new ways of enhancing the trees without increasing the poly count. I hope to have the third variation done today and post it by Saturday.

I think I will start a new tree that will be native to Europe. Some of the members have provided image samples of some nice big ones. I will research this this weekend.

Thanks for your participation in this thread.

Marc  

NOTE: Here is a variation with some dead needles. I'll droop the branches on version 1.

Marc Gebhart

MGebhart

Final.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Henry Blewer

Nice render Marc. I like your image better than my version. Fantastic tree!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

MGebhart

Thanks Henry,

There will be two version but, you can configure them many ways. Example: with all green needles, mix dead and green needles, sparse needles, mix and match bark and branch textures and so on. It should be versatile. I will include the obj file so people can manipulate the geometry. Add more branches and roots and such.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

choronr

Marc, these are fine examples of what we need to add a certain specialness to our images. I truly appreciate what you've done here.

MGebhart

You are all very welcome.

I will do a couple more tests from different angles and release it sometime tomorrow afternoon. Also, add a text file on how to configure it for different looks. Should be fun.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

mhaze

superb trees an a great example of what can be done. Look forward to using these.