Display Problem (Entire planet surface is Black)

Started by pmetschan, February 03, 2010, 01:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmetschan

It looks like a display issue to me. In any other program I would say I am either looking at a clipping problem or coplanar polys. Sorry for the newb problem, fairly new to TG2. Anyone know how to correct this.

MacPro runnnig OSX 10.5.6, TG2 Deep, Just opened on of the planet presets.

Thanks all

domdib

It would help if you could send Planetside the TGD. What is a "planet preset"?

pmetschan

Quote from: domdib on February 03, 2010, 06:56:13 AM
It would help if you could send Planetside the TGD. What is a "planet preset"?

Sorry, it even occurs on a basic new scene. The only way I could find around it was to flip completely on the other side of the planet (which says to me its a culling problem?) or in the background node, uncheck, visible background. If its a graphics card issue I would love to know that, but if its a bug in the software then I won't go out an make the investment in a new GPU.

I guess the basic question is, When you open a brand new default scene in TG2 and zoom out to see the entire planet, is it shaded or completely black with artifacts?

Thank you

FrankB

the planet would be shaded. your problem seems like an opengl driver problem. Try to update them first.

Frank

nikita

It's a clipping problem. You can fix that with the [ and ] keys

At least I think it's [ and ], but I'm not sure. If they don't do anything, look up the correct keys in Help > Mouse and Key settings > 3D Preview > Increase/Decrease near clip distance

Oshyan

Yep, I'd agree with trying what Nikita suggests. If that doesn't fix it, let us know and we'll work with you to look into it further.

- Oshyan

pmetschan

Quote from: Oshyan on February 04, 2010, 03:15:51 AM
Yep, I'd agree with trying what Nikita suggests. If that doesn't fix it, let us know and we'll work with you to look into it further.

- Oshyan

Are there any problems you are aware of with Mac keyboard inputs though OSX 10.5.6. I tried his suggestion with no result. Is there no interface or input fields for these values?

FrankB

you can specify the button to increase/decrease clipping distance yourself. Just pull up the TG2 preferences dialog. Select input setting, then choose custom bindings. Next, choose 3D Preview and from that, increase and decrease near clipping distance. Assign this to any key you like.

(I still think it's a driver thing, though ;) )

Cheers,
Frank

Oshyan

Quote from: pmetschan on February 05, 2010, 03:08:13 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on February 04, 2010, 03:15:51 AM

- Oshyan

Are there any problems you are aware of with Mac keyboard inputs though OSX 10.5.6. I tried his suggestion with no result. Is there no interface or input fields for these values?
I'm not aware of any such problems. Did you check the Key Reference under the Help menu? (may be a different menu on the Mac - far-right)

- Oshyan