Sentinals of the Xeriscape

Started by choronr, February 04, 2010, 11:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

What made me feel  inspired to create this image was a situation that occurred a few weeks ago as we had a considerable amount of rain and high winds. While driving down one of the main streets the day after, I noticed that two giant Saguaros were blown over partially lying on the street. There were city crews there to remove them from the street. I couldn't believe it; they were using chain saws cutting them apart to haul them away! These specimens were about two hundred years old - what a pity. Those in the desert never blow over from high winds since they are deeply rooted.

The city could have called out the one of the special Saguaro nurseries here to transplant them safely instead of throwing them away in a dump - what a way to go after such a long life!  Such are the brains of the big city politicians; who, in the first place should never have allowed these endangered species to be planted in the city street landscapes. So much for my rant.

This image reminds me much of the desert that is close to my home. It contains the following models:

•   Saguaro models by 'lightning'.
•   Dry Shrub by Walli.
•   Mouse-eared Chickweed by 'Walli'.
•   Graz7 by 'klas'.
•   Rainbow Cactus from a friend.

Note: The leaf .tif files of the Dry Shrub were brought into an editor to recolor it by adjusting the color balance, saturation and brightness/contrast.

Thanks for viewing; and, would appreciate some constructive criticism.

Bob

Gannaingh

The foreground is great! I love what you have done with Walli's plants, the leaves are awesome! IMO the thing that could use the most improvement is the fake stone., they are a bit regular and the larger stones in the distance seem to throw off the sense of scale that exists in the background. Nice image, I look forward to seeing some future iterations of it :)

choronr

Quote from: darthvader1 on February 04, 2010, 12:38:42 PM
The foreground is great! I love what you have done with Walli's plants, the leaves are awesome! IMO the thing that could use the most improvement is the fake stone., they are a bit regular and the larger stones in the distance seem to throw off the sense of scale that exists in the background. Nice image, I look forward to seeing some future iterations of it :)
Thanks for visiting; I agree about the large stones - should have used a painted shader to restrict then to the foreground. I plan some additional scenes using this terrain.

Henry Blewer

I like this render a lot. The saguaros are really good looking. I have tried to model on in Blender... not very successfully. City officials are not known for much sense. I think that it may be illegal for them to have done this. I watch a lot of travel shows, and seem to remember someone saying that the saguaro is a protected species.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

choronr

Quote from: njeneb on February 04, 2010, 12:49:18 PM
I like this render a lot. The saguaros are really good looking. I have tried to model on in Blender... not very successfully. City officials are not known for much sense. I think that it may be illegal for them to have done this. I watch a lot of travel shows, and seem to remember someone saying that the saguaro is a protected species.
Thanks for stopping by; and, glad you liked the image. The Saguaro models were created by 'lightning' a few years ago. I worked with him in providing photographs of the textures and some full shots of a number of plants. It is interesting that when these are used in private landscapes, they usually take on more water and expand very much - to the point where they look like they might explode! Those in the desert are far more attractive with no two alike. I would like to see Walli create some models of these plants; and, would provide any photographs needed.

Henry Blewer

Yea, Walli or Marc both would do a fine job making these. It would be nice to have a pack of desert succulents.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

choronr

Quote from: njeneb on February 04, 2010, 01:05:13 PM
Yea, Walli or Marc both would do a fine job making these. It would be nice to have a pack of desert succulents.
Agree; Walli and Marc, I'm ready with my camera to take the shots needed. There are many great plants here in the Sonora desert. Spring here comes soon and there will be abundant flowering as a result of a lot of rain this winter.

FrankB

nice desert scene Bob, and this time I especially like the dusty atmosphere :)

choronr

Quote from: FrankB on February 04, 2010, 04:11:19 PM
nice desert scene Bob, and this time I especially like the dusty atmosphere :)
Thank you Frank. Yes, this one comes very close to looking like where we live. We have many cloudless days throughout the year.

domdib

Just lovely - I particularly like the far hills on the left.

glen5700

Definitely a nice desert scene, reminds me of when my wife and I lived in Fountain Hills (northeast of Scottsdale AZ). You did a great job of capturing the desert mood, my only comment is the bushes look a little to flat on top.

Glen

choronr

Quote from: glen5700 on February 04, 2010, 06:54:24 PM
Definitely a nice desert scene, reminds me of when my wife and I lived in Fountain Hills (northeast of Scottsdale AZ). You did a great job of capturing the desert mood, my only comment is the bushes look a little to flat on top.

Glen
Hi Glen,

Thanks for visiting and your comments on the image. I agree about the bushes; when viewing a single bush, you don't see a flat top. I guess it turned out that way as a result of the random orientation while populating. We've been to Fountain Hills many times over the years for their art fairs. The surrounding McDowell mountains are beautiful as is the desert landscape.

choronr

Quote from: domdib on February 04, 2010, 05:32:11 PM
Just lovely - I particularly like the far hills on the left.
Thanks domdib - this terrain yields many good POVs.

EoinArmstrong

Excellent title :D

The lighting and object placement is superb as always -

Tangled-Universe

Very nice work Bob, I like the atmosphere too :)
You've combined some nice elements well together!

Cheers,
Martin