10m + 1m Cracks...

Started by dandelO, February 06, 2010, 11:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Here are the crack shaders that I said I was supposed to have done a couple of days ago.
These files are this .tgd and clipfiles from this image:

There are only 2 different scaled shaders so far; 10m and 1m scaled cracks. I have more that in progress, the thing is, when you get smaller, you need increasingly small(sounds wrong) redirects following the crack functions, I'm playing around with different ideas with the smaller ones, they're not ready yet. Maybe they never will be. :D

So, these ones then. I don't have time or patience to build a scene for them, I'll leave that to you, my full scenes usually suck.
Be warned, placing these BEFORE the main 'compute terrain' node will probably quadruple the render time for these shaders and there will be no visible difference in the output than if they are placed after it. Generally you shouldn't need to put these cracks through the compute terrain, unless you really need to specify their exact coordinates and steep edge slopes later on.

I think they work best(4x as quick) just after compute terrain but before 'base colours', or, the first equivalent colour shader that completely covers the terrain. This isn't really correct TG practice. :D
They don't displace far at all upwards so final surface level is probably negligible in most hobbyist scenes. They simply displace down beneath any surface they're laid over with some small redirects to break them up a little afterwards.
Of course, if you have a super computer then pop'em up top, by all means. :)

You can use the altitude/slope constraints in the main shader. You can also choose to blend the shader by any other shader you want.

The controls for the cracks, if you want to get inside and edit are pretty simple. A 4 node function makes the shape of the voronoi and colour and displacement shaders distort them.
The scale of the cracks is defined by the 'constant scalar'. If you change that you'll then need to move onto changing the following scales by the same factor, there's no point in making the cracks 100m scale and blending them with the '10m crack blender' node, for example. The blender is set to fit each scale. Same goes for the redirect shaders that come last.

Cheers! :)

TheBlackHole

I have a scene in mind that could use these. Thanks!
*downloads presets*
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

freelancah

Man, you actually shared this gem! Thank you!!

Dune

Very nice, Dandel0. Downloaded and ready for dissection. Thanks a bunch! Might come in handy when I let the water drain from my latest topics' image.

---Dune

Hannes

Viktim

reck

aymenk2003

Le peu que je sais, c'est à mon ignorance que je le dois.

cyphyr

Excellent work here. Try isolating single pieces, making them very much bigger and creating towers, just an idea :)
Cheers
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

MGebhart

dandelO,

This is great D.

I'm amazed at the amount of work and the complexity of the node network in this file. What a great brain you possess.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

dandelO

Thanks, guys. Marc. Really I barely have a brain! :D

They aren't really complexed. I've seen some ridiculous function work in here before for making cracks that I just could never get my head around. These are my cheap and nasty version with bare minimum function node work.

Which reminds me, I said some months ago that I'd have a look at Glen's 'fractalized voronoi' crack functions once I'd done making mine. I'll do that now if I can find the thread again. I expect to be completely lost in there, I imagine it'll be full of blue intimidator nodes! :D

Cheers, folks!

MGebhart

Thanks again.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

inkydigit

cheers dandel0, these look fab!