Mountain river

Started by Mor, February 08, 2010, 09:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mor

Here is image of mountain river. Very simply made, just alpine fractal terrain and lake in appropriate place. Trees are birch trees and I thing I got them from terragen.org. I'm quite happy with the outcome as this was very quickly composed. Atmosphere is default with cumulus layer. With detail 0.8 and AA 6 it took 4 hours to render.

domdib

Very nicely done - the trees are scaled well.

FrankB

this is an excelelnt start, and I really mean it. There are a few elements such as vegetation and surfacing variety that you could continue to work on, but for the most part this is great and I particularly like the way the smoother areas are distinctly surfaced against the steeper and rougher rocks.

Cheers,
Frank

mhaze

Very convincing, an excellent start I like the colour in particular and the way inwhich you have applied it to different parts of the landscape

Henry Blewer

One of the best beginner renders I have seen. In fact I would be happy with this. It really is good, and has grat possibilities. It would not take very much more to make this awesome.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

rcallicotte

Very good render.  Nice viewpoint.  Good lighting.  Excellent terrain setup and very good river creation.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

choronr

Agree with Frank; you've got a lot of correctly placed surfaces - I like seeing the grasses get a dryer look as they progress upwards toward the higher levels. In all, a very, very good image.

Mor

Thanks a lot for your kind comments. It is very motivating to get this kind of images done even though I have used terragen 2 less than a month. Somehow everything worked on this image at first try. I just threw the colors in and then the trees and thats it :) I tried to make little improvements, but couldn't do much. Bigger version is currently rendering and after few hours we'll see did I manage to get it better.

Mor

Here's the new version. Increased haze density a bit and added some roughness to shores. 1920x1080 with 0.86 detail and AA 8 it took little over 13h to render. I think I'll make one more with haze decreased from default to see would it look better.

Henry Blewer

This looks great to me. I like the haze density like this. If you are looking for more plants and other objects, try Terragen.org. There is a link from the resources tab of the Planetside site.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

domdib

This looks really great. I agree with Bob re the fading of the vegetation. Also, the clouds are very good. Are you using a Distance shader for them?

Did you do much tweaking to the Alpine fractal parameters? Perhaps you would be willing to share the settings if you did, as the Alpine fractal is one of the less researched TG2 avenues.

Finally, the little grey dots peeking through on the near right-hand grass - I'm presuming that's fake stones. It could almost be mistaken for sheep at this distance. Great work!

Mor

Yes, I grabbed most available objects from terragen.org and trees here are birch trees from there (http://www.terragen.org/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item267). I'm planning on adding some variation to the vegetation, though this setting already makes my computer begging for mercy :D I used distance shader for the clouds to push them farther. My friend asked also are those grey dots sheep :) Yes, they are fake stones. I did some tweaking to the alpine fractal and I'll gladly share this setting. Heres the .tgd file attached.

domdib

You're obviously a fast learner with the techniques you're already using! Thanks for sharing the file - there is a good spirit of sharing on these forums.

Mor

Quote from: domdib on February 09, 2010, 08:40:47 AM
You're obviously a fast learner with the techniques you're already using! Thanks for sharing the file - there is a good spirit of sharing on these forums.
Thanks :) I think the main trick for the quick learning is not to ask help for every little problem, but try to find solution by trial and error. There are so many good tutorials, which give good coverage for most features. This community indeed is one of the most helpful and friendly I've ever met.

I've been organizing my objects and found out many nice plants behind weird names :D So, here's quick autumn version of mountain river:

Edit:
Plants used:

• Marc Gebhart's Red oak and Black walnut
  • European walnut by mr-miley
  • tree 22 (?)