a cloud

Started by FrankB, February 09, 2010, 02:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdib

Der Wolkenmeister is in da building... ;) The last one is definitely my favourite - really verging on photorealism.

Henry Blewer

Still, getting a great cloud to happen in thirty seedings is not bad. Moving the camera around might have made this easier. It looks just right.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

MGebhart

The Cloud Master.

Nice.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

rcallicotte

That last one is amazing, Frank.  Good work!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dlefik2008

wow, man i couldn't help but to comment but that cloud seriously looks awesome. if i hadn't know better, i would never have guess that was even a render.

GioMez

Lovely, lovely, lovely clouds!

glen5700

Very nice!! It looks like a building cumulus with glaciation on the lower section.

Glen

MacGyver

You've got a monster of a cloud brewing here :D
Der Wolkenmeister, indeed! ;D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Oshyan

Excellent results Frank, a nice improvement on the great past work that you and others have done. I have a thought: with no terrain in this shot, it might be an excellent candidate to test the experimental "Raytrace Everything" mode. Try turning it on, then set cloud detail to 1 only (even if you felt you needed higher samples for the original render), use conservative atmosphere samples (no more than 64, even if you used higher originally), and then set AA to 4 or so and let it go. See if you get higher/equivalent quality in less time than with the default renderer. My experience is you can often get less noise this way, and in similar render time...

But note to all: it is *rare* that Raytrace Everything is actually "better" for rendering speed or quality, since it handles terrain very poorly. So we still advise strongly against its use unless you really know what you're doing.

- Oshyan

Dune

If you have an easy distinction between land and sky, it would perhaps be worthwhile to render in two parts, one with RTO and one with RTE, then blend them in PS (sorry for all the abbr.). Never tried it, so I wouldn't know if the lighting would be different.

MacGyver

What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine