a cloud

Started by FrankB, February 09, 2010, 02:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

trying to improve the cumulus clouds...

just a starting point, though. I'll post updates here.

Gannaingh

The lighting of the cloud is absolutely spot on! However, there is just something about either the edge sharpness or the cloud density that doesn't seem to mesh with the shape of the cloud. Nice work Frank!

FrankB

yep, that's exactly what I'm improving right now :)

domdib

It was only a matter of time before Frank's secret identity as der Wolkenmeister reasserted itself... ;)

FrankB

hahahahaaa  ;D

... but mind you: I'm not done yet.

FrankB

next iteration. I've got the shapes now and changed the lighting to late afternoon.

domdib

The top third looks slightly grainy/dirty. What's the veg, by the way?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: domdib on February 09, 2010, 05:12:23 PM
The top third looks slightly grainy/dirty. What's the veg, by the way?

I agree with you here. I'd say the bottom half looks very good, shape and density wise. The top half needs to be a bit in between those 2 halfs.
The vegetation is "cracked willow" from XFrog I think. European Library if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers,
Martin

FrankB

wait guys, the next one's coming and the small tester render looked like it will most definitely address your points ;D

FrankB

last one for today

Tangled-Universe

That looks pretty cool :)
The top structures are very very good.
Hopefully you can improve this further tomorrow, by getting those structures more or less similar over the entire cloud though less dense at the bottom, for example.
Looking forward to your next iteration :)

Cheers,
Martin

Henry Blewer

There's a storm coming! This is looking good Frank.  All it needs is some areas of sharper billows.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Jack

amazing the third one! will this be in the cumulus pack v3? if so I will buy it for sure ;D
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

choronr

That #3 is spot on. Lighting has so much effect on the clouds' appearance as does atmospheric decay. Since I have moved from the mid-west to the southwest, I've never seen so many different cloud formations here. I guess it is the 'wide open skies' that give you a much better view.

Dune

That last cloud is absolutely amazing, Frank. I really like the softer lower half plus the billowy top, it gives the cloud some sort of growing acceleration, as they often do when thunder is brewing... How long do they take to render, what's cloud settings are needed? Beacuse that's the reason I hardly use highrising clouds.

---Dune