CPU temperature

Started by Viktim, February 10, 2010, 02:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

No, I do not overclock and
Yes, I have water cooling.

I thought this was high to, but I don't know anything if I open up the computer. I guess I'll have
to buy a better water cooling system or something.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

freelancah

I'm suspecting you either lack contact with your CPU/heatsink (too little thermal grease or something) or your temperature measuring is faulty
Did you instal the watercooling yourself or shop did it?

reck

It's always worth running some cpu temperature monitoring software for a while after installing a new cpu. If your CPU is running hotter than is recommended and you don't realise then over time it'll won't be doing your cpu any good at all.

I've recently purchased a Core i7 2600K which under load was running at around 80C. I thought this was ok initially but after checking the official spec on the intel site found out it should not be running hotter than 72.6C  :o Needless to say I stopped playing games and running Terragen until I purchased a more powerful cooler.

After the new cooler was installed my temps dropped to mid 50C under load which I was very pleased about. At that point I figured I had quite a lot to play with seeing as I could go up to 72.6 so i've overclocked it now to run at 4.3Ghz (from the stock 3.4Ghz) and at load the temperature is around 60c now, so still quite a bit under.

Just for reference the Core i7-920 mentioned earlier in this thread should not be running any hotter than 67.9C.

IMO the stock cooler on the i7 CPU's is not good enough, at least the one that came with the 2600k, when running under heavy load. If you only ever used your computer for email\web\work you'd probably never have a problem but anything that's going to stress the cpu and it just can't cope and would at best shorten the lifespan of the cpu.

Tangled-Universe

If I'd buy a computer and the CPU would heat up beyond it's own spec then I'd call the assembler where I bought the PC and ask for replacement or a proper re-install. This should never happen with out of the box stock coolers and stock speeds.
One can also have bad luck by having a "monday morning model" like we used to say here in The Netherlands.

Cheers,
Martin

Kadri

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 15, 2011, 05:59:36 AM
One can also have bad luck by having a "monday morning model" like we used to say here in The Netherlands.

LOL! Potato print ?  :)

reck

If I'd buy a computer and the CPU would heat up beyond it's own spec then I'd call the assembler where I bought the PC and ask for replacement or a proper re-install. This should never happen with out of the box stock coolers and stock speeds.

Cheers,
Martin

Yep so would I Martin. My last post was aimed more at people like myself who build their own systems, so in effect we are the assembler.

When I noticed mine was running so hot I tried re-seating the heatsink and re-applied the thermal paste and even wacked the stock fan speed up to max but I got no real benefit. At that point I started searching around and found a lot of other people were getting higher than expected temperatures with the stock heatsink\fan. That was the point where I just decided to replace mine and with the extra cooling was able to get a bit more speed out of it.

I think in the UK they are called Friday specials  ;D

sjefen

Cheers,
Martin

Ok. Now that I know it's not normal I'll contact
the company I bought it from  ;)

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it  :)

Regards,
Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Dune

QuoteOne can also have bad luck by having a "monday morning model" like we used to say here in The Netherlands.
It happened to me as well, ran into hot trouble with a newly made pc, and had to redo the paste. No trouble after that. They just flung it on, presumably.

FrankB

the thermal conductor paste is THE key to effective cooling. All those fance big copper coolers with 140 mm fans.. they don't help when you haven't done the thermal conductor right.

sjefen

Quote from: FrankB on November 16, 2011, 03:19:39 PM
the thermal conductor paste is THE key to effective cooling. All those fance big copper coolers with 140 mm fans.. they don't help when you haven't done the thermal conductor right.

But that is done correct.

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Henry Blewer

I bought a very large case. It came with two 140mm (or 120mm) fans. The case needs to have lots of air space so the fans can do their job. Some cases are just too small to allow proper cooling. I bought an Antec 300 mini tower. It looks and works well.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

Quote from: sjefen on November 17, 2011, 10:10:53 AM
Quote from: FrankB on November 16, 2011, 03:19:39 PM

But that is done correct.

Well this is not the only point where cooling fails, but it's the most fundamental part to get right. Also, different pastes have varying thermal conduction properties.
Anyway, next thing is about inflow and outflow of air. Some people have the PSU fan and 2 case fans sucking in air, but only one small fan blowing out. That doesn't work. You get a "traffic jam of air". In an out need to be close to equal.