Planet Ring

Started by CCC, February 20, 2010, 06:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC

I extended the ring a bit larger then the planet size which is now using the default planet being active and the atmosphere, however the ring boundarys being visible yet the ring itself is not. I made sure the size of the ring is larger then that of the planet.

TheBlackHole

Try increasing the cloud layer's Altitude and Depth to infinity, or as close to it as you can get.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

CCC

Cloud alt and depth are at 9e+008. Nothing is visible.

TheBlackHole

Ohhh. Just figured it out: The Simple Shape shader draws shapes on the planet surface. It doesn't extend into space.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

CCC

But the smaller version that Orge was working on was going into space unless it has altitude limitations for some reason.

dandelO

Nice one, Ogre. I'm also still playing around with alternative distribution methods of clouds for this. That's a good workaround to the contour shader method, more nodes to control, though. :)

dandelO

It's actually even simpler than that, thanks, Ogre.
The simple shape-merger can be used as the blender on its own to a surface layer with the cloud fractal as colour function.

I'm finding the cloud ring cut-offs are coming from bad cloud height/depth settings, rather than the contour shader. The closer to the centre of the planet you set the height - the more cut-off there is behind the planet. The contour shader method relies on the ring layers being constrained within it's own limits. This makes it a very tight squeeze.

I'm going to test with 4x larger contour spacings and offsets to see if it helps, the rings can then be wider and, hopefully, not cut-off...

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

dandelO

Even simpler yet. You only need one simple shape shader, the cloud's height/depth settings will suffice to stop it appearing close to the planet.

This is a single cloud layer, not multiple rings. The appearance of banding is from a sin function blending of the density fractal.

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

Thanks, Ogre, for steering me away from the contour shader! :)

I love how problems just get worked out in here and everyone chips in with new and better ways to do things and overcome issues. This is one of those things! Let's pat ourselves on our collective back! Ahh, I can hear the rumbling, like a power fractal! :D

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

CCC

Hopefully, i can get those ringlets in there as well and translucency.

CCC

Not a ring but this could make well for a weird halo around any planet.

TheBlackHole

Nice one, dandelO! The planet still looks like a small-scale model, though. I'll download it and see....

dandelO

It is still a small planet model, that's why it looks like it. ;)
Just scale up the settings. Make a duplicate and multiply all the appropriate inputs relatively.

TheBlackHole

I'm confused. You made it, and can understand what's going on here. I, on the other hand, don't. I prefer to solve problems in terms of power fractals and distance shaders. Can't you scale it up to full size? I'm too confused to scale up all the settings.
EDIT: Just got an idea. I'm trying it now. >:( Didn't work.