Yosemite Valley - WIP

Started by Revenant, February 27, 2010, 10:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revenant

Hi all,

after 2.5 years without terragen i decided to start all over again and try to produce some new pictures.

I see that i will never be good as some people are here, like Frank, Seth, TU and many more but i am up to the battle, lol :D

So here's my recent try to make a not so bad picture. Everything else but the pov is going to be improved. I just want to give you a little impression of what it might looks when it's finished, regarding pov-terrain and atmo.

The next WIP-step is to finish the terrain-shape with displacements,ridges and so on to make the dimensions and scale of that whole thing more clearly.

Stay tuned :)

freelancah

chefc

Nice POV "lots of potential" looking forward to seeing where this goes
Chef C  ;)

Serving the masses  8)

inkydigit

welcome back Rev!...gonna keep an eye on this one..looking good!

Henry Blewer

Keep rendering. I do not remember seeing other work you have done, but this looks really good.  8)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

It's a very good start. I love the dramatic sky. Interesting that you've chosen a PoV just out of range of the classic view of Half Dome down the valley, but that's not a bad thing. Can't wait to see this evolve. :)

- Oshyan

dandelO

Hey, we all work in the shadow of giants here, Revenant! Don't compare, just join in! The more in this mixing pot, the better! :)

I love that sky. I wish I could do clouds half as good, you're well on the way with this one.

And don't edit the clouds, if this is a WIP. Or, at least save this version's settings as a clipfile to use again, they're really nice.
Your terrain here really reminds me of the old TG 0.xx images, get some rocks and a little lateral displacement in there and it'll be a real winner. :)

Tangled-Universe

Wow, the sky and lighting are damn awesome!
I'm looking very forward to see what you're going to do with this interesting POV.
If you need any help in the progress then just ask :)

Cheers,
Martin

Revenant

Thanks all for your comments, kind words and warm reception after that long time :D

so here it is the 2nd one, in every pic i try some tweaks out like other colors, atmo, slightly changed pov and so on... to get to know where i really want to aim at the end.

So here is another atmo, the terrain is nearly fully finished.

The next picture you will see will have the terrain and atmo in finished state. Then it comes to surfaces and objects, then i hope i can call it finished.

nvseal

This looks like it is going to be amazing. Keep it up. 8)

Oshyan

Atmo is still looking great. You already have a pretty good sense of scale going, but I think maybe slightly less displacement on El Capitan there. It's actually remarkable smooth, with just some large cracks and bulges. Everything is also a bit too brown, but I imagine you're not done surfacing yet. Quite honestly I think getting the look of Yosemite granite correct is going to be one of the hardest things. But you've got a great scene going already, so I'm looking forward to seeing the next iterations. Keep up the good work!

- Oshyan

TheBlackHole

Wow. The clouds are even more epic than before!
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

DannyG

I am trying to tackle this same image. I am assuming you being the creator of WM these displacements are from your application. The textures in 2-2 gives me some guidance thks.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

pclavett

This is an excellent work in progress....where did you get the terrain ???
Paul