Massive use of vegetation

Started by Lucio, February 04, 2007, 05:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Fire

That's a great ruin. Any idea what it's a ruin of?

Lucio

Last update, and final image

Here's the model imported into the environment, I've been forced to cutout a big part of vegetation due to lack of RAM

The original resolution is 4000x2660, and took me about 45 hours to render all layers. I did "manual" compositing to color correct and to create some subtle depth-of-field effect (and to eliminate some render artifact in atmosphere due to low sample setting :P)
Hope you like it. This is the first of a group of high-res images I'm doing, soon I'll create a website (or blog, I'm undecided) with my works on 3d graphic, and it will include TG2 (and also something of the 0.x version I guess)

Regards,

Lucio Arese

old_blaggard

Great job!  The cliffs in the background look a bit barren, but the model's integration is awesome.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Will

I agree the backround is kind of empty, it would look nice with a tropical forest or somthing, great model intgration though.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

fmtoffolo

:o :o :o :o :o
Amazing!!! You did those displacement by hand or use some kind of soft like ZBrush???
Again, one of the most promising(sp¿) wips!!

Fer
My Terragenn site
www.cgworlds.com.ar

Lucio

Yes, the background looks a bit empty because I've been costricted to remove many populations, after importing the model into the scene my RAM (1G) just lacked to render all the instances and loading all the necessary textures.. I've mantained some bush and some grass in the right background. I know it's a shame, especially after the long work done to create a dense vegetation environment (needing new hardware!)

toffolo: the displacement is created with TG2, and the model itself is pretty simple (vegetation excluded). Creating the texture was the longest work: I've assembled a very big map (7500x4000) starting from a stone wall image downloaded from mayang.com. I can say I've built manually those walls, brick per brick ;D. Also the irregular edges of the ruin are obtained with cutout maps, with same procediment that defines the edges of a leaf using the alpha channel of his texture.
To give 3dimensional displacement I've employed a desaturated (b/w) and contrast enhanced version of this color map as displacement function, played a lot to set the right value (about 4 centimeters), then the rendering engine did the work

Oshyan

Excellent results in the foreground! I am sure the background would be equally nice if you had the RAM to support the full scene. Hopefully you can upgrade your hardware soon! ;D

- Oshyan

Lucio

Thank you Oshyan! A new pc is scheduled for the first half of this year (maybe..), and also 1G of additional RAM on this would be nice  :P

I've decided to send this image to the Exposé 5 contest. It's pretty improbable that they will publish it.. however I'm going to sponsor the new born TGD against the finest render engines ;D

Will

^ nice, good luck with the Expose 5, I wanted to submit some of my work but since I'm on the free version for the time being I'm saddly out :(

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Paolo

Hi Lucio and congratulation for your image looks nice! Ebbene si sono italiano....mi hai beccato! In bocca al lupo per Exposè.
Just a thought, why don't you try to composite your final work with another prog. like photoshop or after effects?
Ciao