Normal Mapping

Started by MGebhart, March 08, 2010, 10:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

Hi,

How difficult would it me to incorporate normal mapping within Terragen. This would be an excellent addition to the shader options. This would allow superior bump mapping and eliminate the use of displacement which requires very high poly-count objects. I know others have requested bump mapping as a feature within Terragen.

Here is a link that will explain Normal Mapping for the folks who may not know the definition and uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping

Marc

Note: The images represent the texture map, a bump map and the normal map.
Marc Gebhart

Klas

TG2 is calculating the normals from the bumpmap. There is no need for normal mapping.

MGebhart

Klas,

My understanding is Normal Mapping is far more accurate then bump mapping. (using a gray scale image.) I must admit that I was unaware bump mapping was an option in Terragen. Normally, I have been using a bump map (gray scale image) in the displacement entry of the internal network of the model. Unless the model is at a ridiculous polycount the displacement looks awful.

Educate me.

Thanks,

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Klas

Do you use the latest TG version?
If "Ray trace objects" is on the greyscale image in the displacement entry is interpreted as bump map. Like a normalmap its only faking the lights, not really deforming the mesh.

MGebhart

Klas,

Thank you.

Here is what I came up with and it seems to work.

I used the normal map as the displacement image.

In the second image I added a Visualise normal 01 and a Compute normal 01 with smoothing checked.

The third image is strictly using the normal map as displacement.

The forth image is changing light direction.

It appears that using the Visualise normal 01 and a Compute normal 01 works well and gives a more natural look.

Thanks for correcting me and allowing me to use my head. :D

Marc

Note: I didn't know the normal functions were there. Also, I'm using version 2.1.18.1 Deep Edition.
Marc Gebhart

Klas

1. I guess the "Visualise normal" does nothing except showing you the direction of the normals.
2. I think your normal map is internally greyscaled and then used as normal (displace|normal) map.

MGebhart

Klas,

I believe you are correct. I will be experimenting until I get, what I feel, is an acceptable result. So far so good.

Thanks for the tips.

Marc
Marc Gebhart