Length of a "Movie"

Started by ugluk, March 09, 2010, 10:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugluk

Hello everybody,

I'm making a terragen project for school, and I want to make a "Flyover" animation, where you fly over the world I've created. I want to make that movie something alround 5000 frames, with a medium quality. I was wondering how long this whould take to render. Has anybody any idea?

Greetz, Ugluk

cyphyr

How long is a peice of string?

If you really optimise everything down and your using good computers (i7's & equiv) and render at a medium resolution and quality (say 720px x 576px, Detail 0.6, AA6, Atmo 32, Cloud quality 1 etc) you could render a frame in an avarage of 30min (frames flying through a cloud could take two hours, frames where the planet is distant could take 5 min). So for a 5000 frame anim your looking at +/-100 days (ish) on one pc. It will all depend on your quality settings and the complexity of your scene.

:)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Seth

Quote from: ugluk on March 09, 2010, 10:08:46 AM
5000 frames, with a medium quality.

what is medium quality ?

Zairyn Arsyn

Quote from: Seth on March 09, 2010, 01:12:13 PM
Quote from: ugluk on March 09, 2010, 10:08:46 AM
5000 frames, with a medium quality.

what is medium quality ?

LOL :D  :D

i was thinking 0.5... but different ppl probably have there own standards
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

ugluk

Indeed, I call 0.5 medium ;D

And I'm running on a previous generation iMac, and my scene is simple: a mountain and some clouds

Seth

err... 0.5 detail, but if you want approximation of time, maybe you should give AA and render size too :)
and if you plan to have more than 1 cloud node and all ^^

ugluk

Quote from: Seth on March 10, 2010, 02:12:20 AM
err... 0.5 detail, but if you want approximation of time, maybe you should give AA and render size too :)
and if you plan to have more than 1 cloud node and all ^^

Oke, i'll check it as soon as possible ^^.

It's on a school computer, and I can't reach it now :(

dandelO

Man, I so wish that we got Terragen in school when I were a lad!

We had, at best, these BBC things...

That ran everything from floppy discs, not even your standard floppies from nowadays, oh no! These beauties...
Pure floppy!

Imagine TG2 on that, what a system! :D

Sorry for hijacking.

FrankB

Richard, I think that an average render time on the i7 for the resolution you mention at 0.5 quality will be more around 10 min per frame, maybe even less. Of course there is a great potential variance, as you say. But I would put the average more at 10 min. Still quite a long time to go for just one PC, if 5000 frames is what's desired (which probably are like 3+ min of film at 25 fps). Will take 30+ days to complete. :(

Cheers,
Frank

ugluk

Oke, i'm at school.

The render settings are:

Detail: 0.7375
AA: 2
640 X 480

and, like i said, 5000 frames ;D

cyphyr

Well, render one frame, it will take 5000 times longer than that!
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Seth

best advice ever ! :)
I'll do as Richard says if I were you, it will give you the best average render time than any of us will ever give you.