Rectangular Noise

Started by Hetzen, March 09, 2010, 11:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Below are some images of how this is working.

And it is working, but not quite right. I see that I have everything I need in the nodes to make it perfect (or close enough) But I just can't pull it off.

What do you guys say?

I think it is just about right, but for the roundness of what should be flat tops of the outcrops and the width of the rectangles. I do like the rounded soft sides which takes away stretching. And you can see in some places the flat areas are there and looking good. I cant figure how to control them better though.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

goal
[attach=1]
It has been eaten.

choronr

You got it Mikey! Looking super. Now, make your TG image look like this.

Dune

I think if you use a setup with stretched (hard, clamped) noise in 2 directions (crossing eachother to form irregular 'squares' in 3D), and a mask derived from the angle in the terrain for directional lateral displacement/redirect/vdisp, you may be able to get those kind of rocks. With some work...

TheBadger

yeah, I did think to stretch but did not think to try an use a clamp, which now seems obvious after you mention it. What did you mean by hard though, hard what?

Its just irritating. I know that I have the nodes I need from the others. Just getting them the right way is frustrating. I would just sculpt the single tower, but that would not help with the hundreds of square miles of the rest of the scene ;D

It has been eaten.

mogn

My pyramids solution failed. But this Works.
The bevel Width depends on the constant 10, greater values gives less Width.

TheBadger

@Mogn
Thank you again, I think that will do it. Just have to clean up my network.

@ Hetzen
The drop in effects from your tree is quite nice. It adds a ton of good results. Its an exceedingly complex thing you did though. I can use it in a couple of different ways depending on how and where I plug it in.

@ Ulco
I like the control group you posted above. It works for me.
only I am not exactly sure how you got the inverted random displacement? Random does not appear to be controlled by the Base color, or the break-up node you used, and I don't see any place else that has a randomize function... So How did you get some of the cubes to invert, and how is that inversion distributed?!
Please be specific. I think that after you tell me that last bit I will be able to rebuild my network in a way that works right.

Thanks again guys!
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Quote from: TheBadger on September 29, 2014, 09:24:18 PM
I read in other posts that people can make their own nodes (programers), is it possible to take these noises you guys have made and make them a regular part of the noise options that TG comes with? So somehow get them to appear as an option just as the noises in the power fractals?
The only way to do something like this is with the as-yet-unreleased SDK. So whatever you read was either incorrect, or misinterpreted.

I also read in another post that noises can be copy protected and that is why we don't have some well known noises in TG (because someone owns them). But if you create your own as in this tread, even if the result is the same, but because you came to your final by an original means, does that make it new?
Theoretically it's possible that a particular implementation of a noise function could be copyrighted, but not - I think - the actual mathematical process. I may be wrong on this with some recent-ish interpretations of software patent law, which are pretty ugly (IMHO), but in any case such issues - if they exist - have not yet directly affected TG that I know of.

Just wondering if the square noises created in this thread could somehow be more integrated into TG as the veroni noise is, for example.
Once the SDK is available someone could do that, if they know how to code.

- Oshyan

Dune

Quoteinverted random displacement?
??? You can use a series of surface shaders + PF's (or whatever) mask to get random distribution of displacement masks. Is that what you mean?

TheBadger

No, I mean you already have that in the file you posted. I was asking how you did it.
[attach=1]
This is your file exactly as you made it, except for the hills you had in there. I removed the terrain forms so I could see the Noise better.
As you can see, there are cubes that are Negative in the Y. I did not get this from mogn's file. So I thought you added it.

And I checked all of the nodes with seeds, but changing seeds changed nothing. SO where is the node(s) that have the negative values (that created the depressions)? And which node is deciding what is inverted and what is raised (in the Y)?

See what I mean? OR is it in the functions somehow?

@Oshyan
Thanks for the good answers.
And I did not misunderstand the other thread. I just did not state things fully. That thread was about coding in general, and I just projected on TG. Sorry about that.
But it does not matter, your answer was good anyway. Very excited about what people may do with this SDK, it really sounds like a good thing.
It has been eaten.

mogn

This is not a Reghtangular noise, but some of the tools are used on a Perin noise.

Dune

@Michael: there's no negative displacement, just 'not so positive'. All colors displace in their own (greyscale) way.

By the way, mogn, can this bevelling be used in the irregular rectangled noise you posted a while back as well? I'm sure you have it in no time. In the meantime I'll try to combine stuff. For these squarish rocks you really need very irregular, but slightly bevelled rectangles, and all I can do is use merge shaders and transform shaders.

TheBadger

Quote@Michael: there's no negative displacement, just 'not so positive'. All colors displace in their own (greyscale) way

Ahh, ok then! I thought that, but I did not get proper results before you posted your control nodes. I had been plugging the noises in to already too complicated networks which was half of my problem.

Anyway, thank you. Im good on this now.

@Mogn
That last one is nice too. And +1 on dunes request!

Edit*
Mogn,
actually, can you say which function determines the randomness in your builds? So just looking ant any of your images of your networks, which node could be altered to act the way a seed button does in a non blue?
It has been eaten.

mogn

@Badger: The random part in in the Perlin is the fractional part of a multiplum of PI.
if you replaces PI with any PI * constant (non zero) it will Work as a random selector.

mogn

On request from Dune: