How to make a 360 degree Panoramic for HDRi?

Started by disneytoy, March 15, 2010, 01:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disneytoy

Hello!

I need a 360 degree pano to be brought into After Effects. I know TG 2 can't do this on its own.

What's the best procedure?

Set a 360 degree rotation animation, and have it divided into x number of frames to get full coverage?

Do you need overlap, then use Photoshop or another stitching program to combine them?

What is the best way to eliminate near to mid field terrain? Just render the terrain at a distance with sky?

I'm not sure, of the Lens equivalent settings in TG for the camera. If I were using a 35mm SLR I'd use a 50mm for the panoramic.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks

Max

N810

Changing the camera to Orthogional mode might help...
if you are using it for a skybox type of application...

basicly you only need 4 shots and rotate the camera 90 degres between each shot.
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

acolyte

I haven't tried this yet, but been looking into doing the same thing for creating an HDR panorama. I've heard others say that if you are able to set the HFOV (Horizontal Field of View) then you can set that to 360 and it will take one image that is a rectangular 360 degree layout of the image. This is essentially a digital method of what a reflective chrome ball would do in a live action shoot with a camera; however, you cut out all the hard steps. If you try this method, let me know if it works!

Jason71

render out 6 cube map images (vFov90, square image size ei 512x512) and then assemble them in hdrshop (free).  You can transform it there into a rectangular latlong image.

Oshyan

Jason's method is probably the most straightforward. If you are using animation to accomplish it, instead of manual changes, just make sure motion blur is disabled (set it to 0 in the camera node settings). You should also be aware of the possibility for GI differences between renders making "seams" in the final stitched image. This can be somewhat mitigated with higher GI Sample Quality and Blur Radius values, and can also be compensated for somewhat using good stitching software. In the future there will be methods to "pad" the GI calculation per-frame to create the necessary overlap to ensure a consistent result.

- Oshyan

Kadri

Quote from: Oshyan on March 18, 2010, 12:03:53 AM
... In the future there will be methods to "pad" the GI calculation per-frame to create the necessary overlap to ensure a consistent result.
- Oshyan

An option with a little render time overheat that takes the surrounding off the view (and time ? ) in account ? Something like this Oshyan ?

Kadri.

Oshyan

Yes, exactly. It will cost render time but will give more consistent results.

- Oshyan

Kadri

Quote from: Oshyan on March 18, 2010, 01:42:24 AM
Yes, exactly. It will cost render time but will give more consistent results.

- Oshyan

Thanks , Oshyan  :)

Floating.Point

EDIT: I have put together a tutorial using my PTGui technique.
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=11608.msg118009#msg118009

I use the following clip to render out a sequence of 6 images which I then stitch together with Autodesk Stitcher.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/792881/SkyBoxCamera110.tgc

Camera Settings within TG2:

As seen above the settings are quite simple. Just remember to ensure you export as a sequence (frame 1 - 6) in your render settings.
I chose to use a 110° hFOV (horizontal field of view) so as to allow a decent overlap within Stitcher...
that way there is plenty of information when blending between the images and thus creates a seamless join.
110° is possibly overkill and you could reduce this if need be, I personally found (after some testing) that I was yielding the best results at the Stitcher end of things when using 110°.

When it comes to bringing your images into stitcher (or other panoramic stitching software), just make sure that you match your camera settings to those within TG2

Camera Setting with Stitcher:

This is the solution I have found best works for me! There are options other than Stitcher which some argue are superior, I am just comfortable using Stitcher and it serves its purpose fast and reliably for my needs. It also handles 32-bit .EXR and .HDR formats quite well (particularly the latter) which is essential for our 360° Panoramic HDRs :)  

I hope this has been of assistance to you.

Cheers,

Nathan
Good luck

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

disneytoy

Nathan,

Thank you for the great directions! I will try this tomorrow!

oysteroid

I use the following technique to make angular maps for Blender backgrounds and HDRI IBL in YafaRay. This technique doesn't require that you have animation functionality. I am using Windows Vista.

First, download the free tools Cube2Cross and HDRShop:

http://www2.cs.uh.edu/~somalley/hdri.html
http://projects.ict.usc.edu/graphics/HDRShop/

Basically, you just need to render six 90 degree views. Set your camera for a 90 degree FOV, both horizontal and vertical. And set your render resolution such that horizontal and vertical dimensions are the same.

Camera rotations:

front: 0,0,0
right: 0,90,0
back: 0,180,0
left: 0,270,0
up: 90,0,0
down: -90,0,0

To get it all to render at once, I just save six version of the file, each with the appropriate camera rotation, and then run TG2 from the command line with a batch file that runs all six in a row. But you can do each one manually if you want.

Here is what a typical batch file like this might look like:

Quotetgdcli -p scene_ft.tgd -hide -exit -r -o scene_ft.exr
tgdcli -p scene_rt.tgd -hide -exit -r -o scene_rt.exr
tgdcli -p scene_bk.tgd -hide -exit -r -o scene_bk.exr
tgdcli -p scene_lt.tgd -hide -exit -r -o scene_lt.exr
tgdcli -p scene_up.tgd -hide -exit -r -o scene_up.exr
tgdcli -p scene_dn.tgd -hide -exit -r -o scene_dn.exr

To use the batch file like this in any folder, you need to first add the Terragen folder to your path in your environment variables.

For Cube2Cross, you need the end of the file names to be exactly "_ft" for front, "_rt" for right, and so on, as above. This is critical. And for HDR applications, you need to render to the OpenEXR format. Unfortunately, Cube2Cross wants the files in the Radiance HDR format, and TG2 can't output in this format, so you need to convert the EXR files to HDR. I do this with Photoshop. I use an action and the batch tool to automate it.

Once you have the six HDR files, you need to run Cube2Cross in the same folder. I just put the Cube2Cross executable in the folder in which I have these six HDR files. Cube2Cross automatically finds those files and stitches them into a cross and outputs a file called "..._cross.hdr".

Now, open that HDR file with HDRShop. Once you have this in HDRShop, go to the 'images' menu and select 'panoramic' and 'panoramic transformations'. For the source image side, make sure to set the format to "cubic environment (vertical cross)". On the destination side, set the format to whatever format you need for your application. Set the resolution you need. I use the light probe angular map format often for Blender. You can also use latitude/longitude to get the format you need for lots of apps. I suggest turning off bilinear interpolation, as it will make lines along your seams.

Now just save the new image in HDRShop in an HDR format, and you are ready to take that file to whatever other app you are using.

Also, I haven't tried it for this, but there is an open source stitching program called Hugin that might be an alternative to the Autodesk software mentioned above:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

I use it to stitch multiple photographs together and it has worked flawlessly for me for that purpose.

juan

THANKS FOR THE TIPS.
but im cant get the desired results.

im using the technique proposed by user: floating point  perhaps im missing something?

stitcher is not stitching  :P  , and put the images together is so hard ( very distorted )

am i missing something? ( i did everithing like the post )

thanks!

the file is attached below if someone wants to check.

Floating.Point

I can't check the file now because I am out of town for a few days.
One thing I found is that if you are using stitchers "autostitch", it behaves much better with radiance (.hdr) files rather than .exr's.
Try converting your exr's to .hdr before moving over to stitcher! Should make autostitch behave a lot better! Also make sure u are up to date with latest stitcher service pack which improved 32 bit a lot!!!

juan

thanks for your fast reply. i will try what you suggested and post results.

thanks again  ;D