Levitating Trees...

Started by choronr, February 26, 2007, 11:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

The last time I reported a problem with object placement it was because the Xfrog Grand Fir trees were partially under the terrain; now, they are levitating above it although the Terrain tab indicates '√ Sit on Terrain'. The attached file is here for your inspection. I certainly would like to hear from someone that somewhere there is a simple fix to this problem. I have gone through and tried every possible solution to correct this issue to no avail.

Certain nodes in this file are disabled since I found they weren't necessary to achieve the results I was looking for. The 'grass clumps' object contains a large image map overlay file (for texture) which can be disabled so you can better view the 'levitating trees'.

Tangled-Universe

Hi Bob,

I've been looking at your file and I think I know what's going on.
The shaders in the terrain-section of the network ends nicely with a compute terrain.
After that you're adding several surface layers, like the strata and outcrops layer.
When adding populations it's often required to add an extra compute terrain node when terrain displacing shaders, like the strata and outcrops shader, are used after the compute terrain shader in the terrain-section of your network. Hope you can follow me :)

I've included the adjusted tgd-file so you can take a look at it.
I mentioned the distribution did change a little and maybe the terrain also did.
I didn't render it full size (used your crop settings) so I'm not sure.

Hope this will help you a little...

Martin

choronr

Hi Martin,

Thank you so much for spending the time on this file. I will download it and give it a try. I will get back to you later this evening. This information will certainly be useful for the future ...thank you again!

choronr

Hello again Martin,

First, I tried populating the trees and grass. The grass populated ok; however, the trees would not. I also tried cropping a small section representing the higher elevation of the mountains and part of the grass and did a quick render - it crashed half way through the render.

I think I need to get into the original file once more and try some different adjustments to see what results. I'll be back here with a report. Thank you Martin; I appreciate the work you did here.

Bob

choronr

Hi Martin,

The levitating trees problem is solved. I reviewed all the settings in the original file and found that the 'heightfield shader' was disabled; how that happened I'll never know. I put a check in the box and enabled the shader; and, we've got the trees back on the ground.

I'll now proceed to finish the work on this project. Thank you for all your help.

Bob

Tangled-Universe

Hi Bob,

No thanks, you're welcome  ;D
After all my idea didn't seem to be correct in your case, missed that heigthfield-shader :)
Good luck with finishing the project, looking forward to see the result!

Martin