Applying image to Planet

Started by dhavalmistry, February 27, 2007, 12:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

can somebody please assist me in applying image to the distant planet. I keep getting white colored ball instead of the image map.
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Will

well the the projection needs to be set to spherical (not though cameria) and you need to check the position lower left. you will also need to play witht he size as well (I use 1: .5).

I could post a .tgd for you if you need it.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Don't forget the need to place the texture at the same coordinates as the planet.

Also, make sure you have the right kind of map, if you're using spherical.  Like here - http://planetpixelemporium.com/planets.html, for example.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

what if I am not using spherical map?.....what should be the projection type then?

and my sun is right behind my planet
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

If you're using a flat map of a moon or a planet or whatever, if it's a good map you can try to use through camera.  Better to use a spherical map for realism, in my observation.  That site I mentioned has free maps.

Will

I don't use spherical maps either you just need to play around with the size a little and they come out great.

Regards,

Will

joshbakr

Quote from: Will on February 27, 2007, 03:18:19 PM
I don't use spherical maps either you just need to play around with the size a little and they come out great.

Regards,

Will

Hi,
Wondering if when you say resize, are you talking about resizing the overlay with the Image Map Shader or resizing the overlay in a program outside of TGTP?

Thanks in Advance!

Will

inside, using the "size" boxs. I usealy use 1 for X and .5 for Y but it varies on the shape of your image.

Regards,

Will

rcallicotte

Both the planet Mars and Phobos in this picture are texture mapped using spherical maps, which means that they can be viewed from any angle just like the actual objects in space.

joshbakr

Quote from: Will on February 27, 2007, 06:20:25 PM
inside, using the "size" boxs. I usealy use 1 for X and .5 for Y but it varies on the shape of your image.

Regards,

Will

AhHa! I was wondering what those were for. Thanks Man!  Hoping that was my missing link? Will report back later with the results.

Thanks Again!

Will

I did this image: http://www.meltingice.net/usergallery/viewimage.php?imageid=144

using that method and it worked well. It was a hand drawn image annd thats why it doesn't look realistic.

Anyway I'm making a tutorial on making nice planets for orbital renders and I plan to have this technquie in it.

Regards,

Will

§ardine

Quote from: Will on February 27, 2007, 05:28:31 AM
... and you need to check the position lower left. you will also need to play witht he size as well (I use 1: .5).

Hey Will, just thought I'd pass this along - I began using the method you described at first, but have found that it actually works better if you check position center. you will need to specify the middle of you planet in the postion boxes leaving the size at 1:1.

I think the reason we started to use the first method is because the default planet is not at 0,0,0 but 0,-6.378e+006,0 and that was the fist way we got it to work without changing the coordinates :P - lousy explanation I know

anyway if you are texturing the default planet then both work ,otherwise I would use method 2 :D

Will

Hey if it works good thing to add, I hope this helps everyone.

Regards,

Will

joshbakr

I did notice that checking centered helped a lot , so I will try both centered and sizing as you mentioned. I think that might be the answer. Thanks Guys!