Aarhg!

Started by kevnar, March 18, 2010, 09:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevnar

I did it to myself again. Just rendered a picture for 3 hours and when I came back I realized I forgot to press the "Set render camera to current view button". Please, please, please, for the love of God, set this as an option that clicks automatically every time you move the camera.  :(

choronr

Its happened to me; its happened to all of us ...I'm with you on this one.

mindsap

Once a King always a King but once a night is enough...

bobbystahr

Only once here...ticked me off so much I seem to remember...LOL...I still remember The Overnight Disappointment as I titled it before I binned it.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

kevnar

It wouldn't bother me so much, except that I've got a dinosaur of a PC and it takes about three to five times longer to render even a basic scene once you have certain options set up. Heck even the preview window takes about ten minutes to finish the scene past 80.

On a side note, you know you're a TG nerd when you're in the computer store looking at high-end machines and not thinking how awesome the 3D games will run, but drooling over how fast terragen could spit out a finished render on one of them.  ;D

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: kevnar on March 18, 2010, 09:13:17 PM
I did it to myself again. Just rendered a picture for 3 hours and when I came back I realized I forgot to press the "Set render camera to current view button". Please, please, please, for the love of God, set this as an option that clicks automatically every time you move the camera.  :(

I disagree here. I find it very useful to move my camera around to tweak populations placement for example. Once that's to my taste I reset the camera and I'm back to my original POV.  I do this from many angles and don't want to set up a separate camera for everything.

Quote from: kevnar on March 19, 2010, 12:09:16 AM
On a side note, you know you're a TG nerd when you're in the computer store looking at high-end machines and not thinking how awesome the 3D games will run, but drooling over how fast terragen could spit out a finished render on one of them.  ;D

I confess here :P

Henry Blewer

TU is right. I move the camera all over the place, checking things. 99% of the time I do a small quick render to check the POV. I have been caught, and started rendering at the wrong POV. On my old machine this is a pain. But I would hate to have to copy the camera settings for the chosen POV just to move the camera to look somewhere else in the preview.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

pfrancke

perhaps a check when you hit the render button.  If the preview differs from the render, make you answer an alert.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: pfrancke on March 19, 2010, 09:24:24 AM
perhaps a check when you hit the render button.  If the preview differs from the render, make you answer an alert.

Being able to disable this in the preference then it's probably a good idea indeed.
Something like "your current camera coordinates aren't set to "current camera". Keep coordinates or change?".

Seth

yes that could be an idea if disabling this option is possible
i didn't have this problem for a very loooong time as i always do a small render before lauching the final one...
oh and i always restart TG2 before final render too...

dandelO

I wouldn't be into this either. Flying around and checking other things out whilst keeping your selected POV set is really handy. If camera coord's were copied every time you moved you'd more than likely lose the preferred POV that you've set for your scene and you'd be even unhappier/frustrated that you can't get it exactly the same again, unless you copied and saved the coord's you liked for the final POV.

I always build my still scenes around my camera's POV, never the other way around.

The idea of having a POV check at render time(that could be disabled in preferences) sounds good for those that forget to hit the camera button. It's second nature to me now so, I'm not really too fussed about it but I suppose it's a good idea.

Just remember to check that your set camera button is still greyed out before hitting render, is the best advice. :)

kevnar

Well, the idea is, add another setting in the preferences, a little checkbox that says "Automatically set the render camera to current view when camera moves". Leave it off by default, but for newbs like me who keep forgetting, it would be helpful.

jaf

... or maybe simply make the button "blink" to gain attention.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

choronr

Quote from: jaf on March 19, 2010, 09:11:50 PM
Now thats the best ides yet; and, maybe easier to program for Planetside.

kevnar

Quote from: jaf on March 19, 2010, 09:11:50 PM

No. I can see the blinking getting annoying after about 2 minutes. What you want is an interface that doesn't distract from the preview window and node network. Maybe just have the button background turn red when the camera moves but not blink, but I can still see someone (me) forgetting to click it.