Flooded Land

Started by Tangled-Universe, March 26, 2010, 05:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Here's my latest. Used Walli's fine grasses from NWDA and a couple of bushes and tree from Xfrog.
Rendertime was 4,5 hours @ detail 0.85, AA8 (adaptive 1/16th) and GI 1/3.

I think I'll make a new version with some more mosses on the fake stones.
Those mosses are actually a population of tiny grasses :)

See 1440x960 version here:
http://tangled-universe.deviantart.com/art/Flooded-Land-158472243

Cheers,
Martin

Walli

very nice, I like the transition from green grass to the greenish water.

old_blaggard

Great detail in the grasses and rocks. One complaint from me is that the water looks too tropical in its color. Maybe tone down the green and darken the blue a little?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Dune

Very nice image, Martin. I like the tiny wavelets and patches on the pool. The only problem I have are the grasses growing through the rocks. The rocks themselves are great.

---Dune

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: old_blaggard on March 26, 2010, 09:54:27 AM
Great detail in the grasses and rocks. One complaint from me is that the water looks too tropical in its color. Maybe tone down the green and darken the blue a little?

Thanks Paul :)
Tropical? Nah...it's just clear rainwater as I've seen often here in The Netherlands.
In my opinion bluer water makes it look tropical.
There's a green surfacelayer following the water shader. It's an unsaturated green and has a coverage of 0.15.

Quote from: Dune on March 26, 2010, 10:33:07 AM
Very nice image, Martin. I like the tiny wavelets and patches on the pool. The only problem I have are the grasses growing through the rocks. The rocks themselves are great.

---Dune

Thanks :) You're absolutely right about those grasses. I'll see what I can do about it, whether I'll try to be lucky with seeds or make some masks.

RArcher

Love the colour tones in this one Martin.  The underwater features are also really nice and clear without being angular and fractalized.  It surprises me that you were able to get them looking this good with only 0.85 detail.  My only complaint is the colour of the little green bush in the background is a little jarring in contrast to the grasses.

I know you like to be a purist, but for your sanity it may be a little easier to simply get the seeding for the grasses close to perfect and then clone out any remaining problems after.

Dune

I encountered the same problem. There should really be a possibility to create a mask with increased 'spots' from the fake stone shader. I guess the stones are just locations (single XYZ) from which the stones 'erupt', but if you'd increase the space around each location, you'd have a good mask. The other way around would work perhaps. Using a fractal mask for the stones and a colour adjusted one for the grasses.

---Dune

RArcher

It's a very tricky problem.  With most masks you are probably going to end up with the grasses looking like a cultivated rock garden with everything precisely positioned instead of randomly growing out from under, up and around the rocks.

Dune

You're probably right. Perhaps paint it away (in TG or Photoshop would indeed be easier). But a mask derived from the fake stones distribution would be handy anyway, e.g. to have snow/sand pile up, or place the stones in depressions (sand blown out or mud 'watered' out).

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Ryan :) I'm glad you like it and thanks for your input as well. You're right about the tone of that bush, it's a bit off.

Quote from: Dune on March 26, 2010, 11:14:22 AM
You're probably right. Perhaps paint it away (in TG or Photoshop would indeed be easier). But a mask derived from the fake stones distribution would be handy anyway, e.g. to have snow/sand pile up, or place the stones in depressions (sand blown out or mud 'watered' out).

Exactly! Which remembers me that O_b once made a shadernetwork which generates displacement around each fake stone. So there must be a way to mask them using function.
If I'm not mistaken I can buy it at NWDA CS for around just one buck :)
If that doesn't work or makes rendertimes horrible, then I'll just paint it away in PS. Oh man, how much do I hate that :) lol

Seth

nice shot Martin !
I don't like the very green water as it looks tropical on my screen (even if I read your statement about rainwater in Netherland ^^) and there is some of the grass that appear through the fake stones bt the overall aspect is nice.
I hope to see some next iteration soon, dude !
the grass colour is very realistic !

old_blaggard

Quote from: Dune on March 26, 2010, 11:14:22 AM
http://store.nwdanet.com/terragen2store/6-terragen-2-presets/20-surfaces/37-sand-piles.html
Shameless self-promotion :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Tangled-Universe

Thank Paul, that's indeed the shader I meant. Will try it out this weekend :)

Gannaingh

Looking good! I really like the colors of the grasses and the stones, however IMO I think that the water's transparency is a bit too green for this environment. Really nice work here!

inkydigit

great shot Martin, I have seen many green things in NL, dijks, weeds etc! the water is not too off putting, though maybe cloudier would work better (for me)...the bright green plant is a bit harsh in my eye, that being said, I am only nitpicking! I like this alot !