dots in sky... no grain

Started by Dune, March 31, 2010, 08:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I encountered a problem doing distant mountains with a low cloud layer. Dots. Black ones and white ones. If rendered RTA they even seem like poly's. What on earth could that be? The cloud is 1500m high at 1640 meter, sharpness 12, density 0.01, quality 3 (278 samples), blended by a distance shader with far distance 9000, near distance 1500m, atmo quality 64. Rendered at 0.5 and 4, GI:1/1/2 plus two fill lights. Looking north, sun in the west at elevation 12.
Any ideas, guys?

Henry Blewer

Those are the things which make crop circles. ::)

The samples should be high enough. How high did you set the noise in the cloud. High settings cause a lot of 'scatter' which can be undesirable. But you would know this already; I don't know what this is.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Quite basic, actually: scale 1500, lead-in 20000, smallest 10, billows, little warp (0.3)

Tangled-Universe

Are you using intersect underlying?

Dune

Dune

Yes, in the distant snow shader... I'll disable that and see what happens...

Dune

Well, that's it! Thanks a lot, Martin. It's strange though, but I remember you (or someone else) having problems with that as well. I'll have to fidn another way to get the snow ok. Back to work. New image will be displaced soon.

---Dune

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on March 31, 2010, 08:25:02 AM
Well, that's it! Thanks a lot, Martin. It's strange though, but I remember you (or someone else) having problems with that as well. I'll have to fidn another way to get the snow ok. Back to work. New image will be displaced soon.

---Dune

I remember Sjefen reported it first well over a year ago, so that's why I thought it might be the reason. Glad this solves it.
Could you please check if it is in the bugtracker still?

Dune

Has it been in the bugtracker? I don't see it now. There's a thing about black triangles in the sky in animation, but that's different. I'll file one......done.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on March 31, 2010, 09:25:39 AM
Has it been in the bugtracker? I don't see it now. There's a thing about black triangles in the sky in animation, but that's different. I'll file one......done.

I dug up the post I remembered, pretty sick actually that I remember virtually everything posted here :)

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2232.0

As you can see PS should be aware of it already. Yours is another example.

Dune

You're as insane as I am. My wife's already complaining that I'm addicted. I guess she's right (as always).

Tangled-Universe

Dune

FrankB

You're both quite alien ;)
I realized TU's elephant memory awhile ago, but put it away as a rare natural oddity - but now there's another one :P