James Lovelock: Humans are too stupid to prevent climate change

Started by Kadri, March 31, 2010, 10:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

I agree with him. Changing my own habits is quite a challenge; 4+ billion people have to drastically change the way they do things. Then there are the extremely impoverished 2+ billion.

I think that the Earth will be changing our habits for us.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

latego

There is a thing called Fermi paradox which can be stated as "where are they?" they meaning the aliens. If they were abundant, we would see signs of their astroengineering tasks, see relics on earth and other places in the solar systems, maybe intercept their communications. Instead we see NOTHING.

Among the explanations for this lack of evidence there is one which I think is the right one: they are dead. As soon as an intelligent, technological society becomes powerful enough it simply self destructs either by war or ecological disaster as we are doing now.

We are causing a global life extintion, sooner or later (hopefully sooner) we will all die cleansing earth from our infestation and life will go on. Simple as that.

Henry Blewer

Well that's cheerful...

I think that many species will survive us. I also think we'll survive. Ideally we could leave the planet for the rest of the solar system. Earth could then heal itself.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

MGebhart

Way to fall for Al Gore's hobby and income generator.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Seth

Quote from: latego on April 01, 2010, 03:56:51 AM

We are causing a global life extintion, sooner or later (hopefully sooner) we will all die cleansing earth from our infestation and life will go on. Simple as that.

mmmh maybe the climate just changes, whatever we'll do about that.

Kadri

Quote from: Seth on April 01, 2010, 10:50:32 AM
mmmh maybe the climate just changes, whatever we'll do about that.

The climate will change whatever we do as it did before us many times ( we will try to prevent  it of course if we have the power).

But this time there is a strong possibility that we are the culprits for this, Seth .

Seth

that's a possibility...
there was, at least, 6 previous massive extinction through Earth History, and humans were not present by then.
so... I am not sure that we are guilty of this climate change, man ^^

i agree that we should live "cleanly", "the green way", but even if we do... well i think something else is happening

Kadri

Seth , i try to think in another way ; destroyed forests , overpopulation , to much manipulation of the wildlife , fabrics ,automobiles , fossil fuels  etc...
If you ask me , if there wasn't a climate change because of us , i would then really surprised  :)

MGebhart

Marc Gebhart

latego

When I read climate change negationist comments I feel warm and fuzzy thinking that 1) all the people I loved are already dead and 2) I am getting old and therefore highly likely to die before the whole ship sinks. Louis XV said "apres moi le deluge"; no quote could be more appropriate. Have you all a nice trip...

inkydigit

it is too easy to say ... go with the flow... what happens/is going to happen is out of our control, as we are base creatures, and that is unfortunate or lucky depending on where on the fence you sit. As for 'aliens'... they are here amongst us, maybe not physically, and maybe not visible, but they are (t)here... what is important is respect, not just for our fellow earthlings, but for our mother planet. I imagine we can change, but we need to change everyone... resources are not infinite... an holistic and spiritual change is necessary... we are evolving constantly, knowledge is power...think globally, act locally.