Top Five ways to know you're a Terragen Fanatic

Started by kevnar, April 13, 2010, 12:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevnar

5. You see a rock as you go about your day and wonder what parameters you'd need to recreate it in TG2.
4. You get excited about the high-end machines in a computer store, not because of the games you could play, but because of the incredible TG2 render times.
3. You leap out of bed in the morning as soon as your alarm goes off, excited to see how your overnight render turned out.
2. When someone comes out with new models or theme packs, you're as giddy as a kid on Christmas morning, excited to try them out.
1. When you see an actual sunset over a lake with distant mountains, you find yourself critiquing God's render settings. ("I'd have used larger fakestones...")

Feel free to add your own.

Gannaingh

Dune

I used to go wandering about in real nature. Now I prefer to sit behind my screen (close the drapes to see better when the sun's out) and wander around in my self created landscapes, and create more, more, and even more of it. Am I lazy, or just plain crazy?

neuspadrin

I often get caught up with interesting cloud setups (and sometimes take pictures :P) in the sky.  Annnnd basically all those on the list too... hahah

Zairyn Arsyn

6. You dream about your overnight render crashing, (or not crashing)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Henry Blewer

You set up a great node of functions that in the end does nothing, and don't get upset. The node tree itself looks cool and impresses your friends.

You get excited when the GI pass is finished and you can watch the first sky area start to render.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

domdib

All of the above, except the overnight ones, as I don't have a box I can run overnight  :'( ;) Oh, and I've never had the non-functional node tree one - njeneb, you must have a special talent!

Henry Blewer

I learned how from Marc's Turbo Konfabulator tutorial.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Hetzen

Driving to work in the morning leaning on the steering wheel looking up at the clouds with polarised shades on, not watching the traffic in front of you

neuspadrin

Quote from: Hetzen on April 13, 2010, 11:00:03 AM
Driving to work in the morning leaning on the steering wheel looking up at the clouds with polarised shades on, not watching the traffic in front of you

guilty.  also at sunset... and on cool cloud looking days

TheBlackHole

7. You start a render just before you go to bed, then you think you hear a beep in the middle of the night, get up, then turn your monitor back on to check for a BSOD, only to find that nothing's wrong, then go back to bed.

And about that taking pictures of clouds thing, I do that too. I also take pictures of rocks and pavement to use in Photoshop to make planet textures.

8. You think about setting a password on your computer so you can make TG2 load at startup.

9. Walking up to the doors at school, wishing you had a camera to shoot the clouds/ground.

10. You get mad because you've been told, told again, nagged, and yelled at to log off right in the middle of a render.

And yes, I've done (or thought about doing) all that.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Zairyn Arsyn

when i'm at work, i have a tendency to stare out my window from time to time, looking at the real life trees, other various objects & wonder what their polygon counts must be.....and think about how long it would take to render it all.

:o ;D :D
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

nvseal

Nice post, I do number three all the time.

Quote from: Hetzen on April 13, 2010, 11:00:03 AM

lol, same here.

silentgod

Pausing or even skipping the dvd back to a scenic shot & thinking it`d make a good render ;)

Markal

10. You stare at a small puddle of water for five minutes and wonder how to recreate those caustics.......