A GI question

Started by dhavalmistry, March 01, 2007, 08:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

I am working on a scene and I would like to have it rendered in high GI setting but its taking too long...so I was wondering if lowering GI  and increasing sun strength would give me similar results or any other work around to low render times and results like high GI
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

sonshine777

You may want to turn off the GI and use the fill light .tgc that Oshyan posted
here http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=580.0
You can tailor fit the light directions to put light where you need it without the long render time.

joshbakr

Just for the hell of it try with "GI Surface Details" checked. GI Relative Details set at 0  and GI Sample Quality set at whatever you want. I don't think it will add that much to render time either. Just try a crop area first and see the results.

Just my Two cents worth.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: joshbakr on March 01, 2007, 09:10:10 PM
Just for the hell of it try with "GI Surface Details" checked. GI Relative Details set at 0  and GI Sample Quality set at whatever you want. I don't think it will add that much to render time either. Just try a crop area first and see the results.

Just my Two cents worth.

your way takes more time than default GI settings (2,2)
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

joshbakr

Quote from: dhavalmistry on March 01, 2007, 09:49:31 PM
Quote from: joshbakr on March 01, 2007, 09:10:10 PM

Just my Two cents worth.

your way takes more time than default GI settings (2,2)

Hmm? That's strange because I just restarted my render with 1.25 Quality, 4 AL and 4 GI sample quality and it's moving right along. Did you try it ? Because you are wrong. Sorry I was just trying to make suggestions.

rcallicotte

I think this has been addressed by Oshyan and others before - you don't need more than about .5 or .6 for the Quality and the GI settings can be one or two without much noticeable difference.

1.25 for the Quality won't be that discernable compared to .5 Quality.  The GI settings are relative to everything and aren't just simple steps up or down, so there might be some playing around depending on the scene.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

joshbakr

Quote from: calico on March 01, 2007, 10:49:41 PM
I think this has been addressed by Oshyan and others before - you don't need more than about .5 or .6 for the Quality and the GI settings can be one or two without much noticeable difference.

1.25 for the Quality won't be that discernable compared to .5 Quality.  The GI settings are relative to everything and aren't just simple steps up or down, so there might be some playing around depending on the scene.

I normally render 1280x1024 and I can see a difference between .5 and 1.25. If I rendered 800x600 then perhaps I wouldn't see much difference. I'm picky about detail and I look at the smallest details. Don't know if that is important to you or not? As far as GI I don't usually use it because of the bugs. I was just making suggestions. I also use Oshyan's fill light setup.

Thanks for your input!  :)

Volker Harun

Well, it is true that You can see the difference.
For my point anything beyond Detail 0.6 is just lightening up the scene and changes the one or the other pixel. At 0.6 Detail you will have any pixel shaded differently - so why bother with higher settings!?!
Psychological point of view - my last renders did not take longer than 3 hours, most were finished within 1.5 hours. That might be a reason for going higher with quality.
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=92.0

Volker Harun

rcallicotte

Well, then, I'll try 1.25 on my next render, though I think this is pretty sharp and it was at .6.  What do you think (about the sharpness)?

http://imagehost.meltingice.net/viewer.php?id=bfi1172725667h.jpg

Volker Harun

Calico, this is hard to tell. It seems that you are close to the ground and the surface fractals could need to have 0.01 in smallest scale instead of 0.1.
The grains in the population seems to be an issue of high density.

rcallicotte

Thanks, Volker.  I'm getting better ideas for this one due to your assistance.  Thank you.  I'll try this and the raising of the Quality.  I did use GI on the ground and in quality settings, too.

By the way, we have a park named after you in Kansas City.  It's called Volker Park.   ::)

Volker Harun

The name 'Volker' has its origin in the germanic words 'volk' and 'her' which literaly means 'the one who went in front of the people. Another word for it is 'Herzog' which is like 'Duke' but only for aristrocats.

I guess that lowering the 'smallest scale' in the fractal ought to be enough. Give it a try in cropped renders.

rcallicotte

I haven't found the increase in Quality to 1.25 to be any different, but I'll experiment a little more.  It really is a good idea to lower the 'smallest scale' in the fractal.  It's great to get such help.

Oshyan

Increasing detail above 0.5 is often necessary. What I recommend is not going above 1.0, except in specific circumstances where it may be necessary. Even 0.75 is a notable improvement over 0.5 and still has less render time than 1.0. 0.9 can provide virtually identical render quality to 1.0 and again with lesser render time.

If lighting is your concern, changing detail isn't going to give you a lot of control. The GI settings aren't there to make your scene *lighter* - in fact they may often make it darker due to higher accuracy. If you want your terrain to be lighter simply increase "Strength on surfaces" in the Enviro Light settings. Likewise with the atmosphere. That will be the best way to lighten or darken your atmosphere or terrain separately when using GI.

As far as GI accuracy goes I usually use between 1 and 4, never any higher than 6. 2 is usually a safe bet. I also seldom use GI Surface Details, but it can be useful in situations with complex foreground detail at a small scale. In other cases it just increases render time needlessly. I would try without it first to see if I liked the results and only turn it on if experimentation with other settings (and using crop render to test) showed that there was no other way to achieve the result I wanted.

In general be sparing with the detail settings. You usually don't need to set them as high as you might think, and certainly using detail as a way to affect something like scene brightness is the wrong way to go.

- Oshyan