Weird behaviour of text fields

Started by Tangled-Universe, April 18, 2010, 03:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Hi guys,

It's a bit difficult to explain what I'm experiencing often, but I'll try:

Often when I post a reply here and as soon as the reply doesn't fit in the default textbox size anymore, the cursor of my keyboard keeps on shifting up to the last line which fitted in the textbox first. It does this after each character I add.
I enter a character, screen scrolls quickly down and back up to the last sentence in the box. When I use the arrow to scroll down I can't get to the text below because it scrolls up back.

Logically this is utterly annoying, but why is this hapenning and more important, what can I do about it?
Hope you can help me out. Thanks!

Cheers,
Martin

neuspadrin

Tangled-Universe

TheBlackHole

I've had that happen. My solution: Switch to Firefox! ;)
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: TheBlackHole on April 18, 2010, 06:22:54 PM
I've had that happen. My solution: Switch to Firefox! ;)

That's an alternative, not a solution. I get the point though, but I can't get used to FireFox nor to the way longer startup time as IE8.
Everybody says FF is faster than IE, but on my PC only the pages load slightly faster but anything else is sluggish.

So, if possible, I'd like to hear a cause/solution for this :)

leafspring

Since it is a known IE8 bug and not an SMF one, the best (and only) solution is to activate Compatibility View for this board (the broken document icon left of the refresh button in the URL bar) and wait for MS to fix this crap which probably isn't going to happen...as always. At least they promised to improve their attitude towards standards with IE9. It's about time....

By the way: Have you ever tried Opera? It's gotten a lot sleeker with the 10.5 release and now appears to be actually usable.
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

Oshyan

Yeah, this is a known issue with IE8 and SMF, or possibly (as Rimmon implies) with IE8 in general. I experience it on another forum I use that is also SMF. Fortunately I use Opera to browse the Planetside forums and it works great. ;D

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Ok, I get it :) there's no solution ;)
I have installed Chrome, that works smooth and pleasant. So far.

Thanks guys!

Martin

neuspadrin

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 20, 2010, 02:13:04 AM
Ok, I get it :) there's no solution ;)
I have installed Chrome, that works smooth and pleasant. So far.

Thanks guys!

Martin

Good choice (and my primary one) ;)

dandelO

Chrome is really great, fast, simple and very user friendly. I've heard some not so good reviews about Chrome but really, since trying it out myself, after losing faith in Mozilla, I've never looked back. Good choice! :)

Kadri

Quote from: dandelO on April 20, 2010, 11:56:22 AM
..., after losing faith in Mozilla...

Just curious why?
I have a quad pc with 4 gb ram  but sometimes Firefox (maybe because i use too much tabs) did get very slow.
I don't know why. It may be firefox or Windows 7 64 bit or something other.
Clicking on the right mouse button and  waiting for the menu ain't no fun :)
Did anyone have such problems with Firefox?

dandelO

What I meant by that, Kadri, is mainly Mozilla's removal of your right to, for example, clean your own browsing history, remove highlighted visited sites, etc.

Since FF3 there is a fair outcry of this, with no solution that I found. I noticed when i tried tidying my computer up once that even removing every trace of your history/visited sites(directly in FF and in Windows) that FF is still storing all those sites for you. Visited links will still be purple, traces are left everywhere, it just isn't doing what it tells you it is.
If you don't mind people/programs lying to you when their supposedly doing tasks that you personally selected them to then, no big deal. I just don't like the idea of a previously very trustworthy program becoming a kind of spyware, data collecting program. Not cool.

Chrome leaves you in control.

leafspring

@dandelO: Are you kidding? You did notice that Google is the biggest data collecting company out there, right? Before Chrome 4 the browser even included a unique id so every single installation of this thing could be explicitly identified by Google. I think you should adjust your understanding of trustworthy...

I totally agree with what you said about the downside of FF3 and that privacy is a valuable good but to use it (privacy) as an argument for using Google software is kind of ironic.

edit: Out of curiosity I just did a short test with Chrome 4. I visited some sites and afterwards cleared everything possible from within Chrome via the options menu -> clear browsing data -> clear everything.
Result: Chrome still shows the recently visited sites within the Windows 7 jump list. So the recent history is still stored somewhere.

dandelO

Aye, of course, I know all about Google, too. As a web browser, I just find chrome the best around at the moment. Just using Windows PC is bad enough on its own for people worried about privacy. I just tried to find another browser once I noticed these little niggles in Firefox and I hesitantly tried Chrome, I liked it, pretty customizable, fast. It's fine for my needs anyway. I never bank online, friends and family get drafted-in for that purpose when purchases need to be made, so I've nothing really to lose either way, no one wants to steal my ID.

Am I happy that the Google Maps van faces right inside my living room? That my brother-in-law is in multiple shots up his street? Not at all, sniping swines, but anyway, I lost faith in Mozilla, aye. :D

leafspring

Quote from: dandelO on April 21, 2010, 11:46:11 AM
I just find chrome the best around at the moment.
It sure is. I don't really like the look and feel, but that's personal taste. From a technological point of view, Chrome is the best. And it has one great advantage over Firefox: It's using Webkit which is a lot more light-weight than the colossus Gecko.