Best computer configuration

Started by EmDee1, April 19, 2010, 10:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmDee1

What would be the best computer configuration at this moment (April 2010) when working with TG2 and other 3Dgraphic Programs, like 3DStudio, Bryce, Poser...? Where there some threads about this subject lately?
Kind of processor, videocard, RAM (2, 4, 6 GB, more?). And further: there have been topics about TG2 changing from 32 to 64 bit, but can this be expected in nearby future, I mean: is this something to consider when I buy a new PC station at this moment ? I guess I need a clear "shopping list", a starting point... Would be great if someone could help me!

domdib

EmDee1

Thanks... Much information there!

Oshyan

That thread definitely has some good information, but it's focused on a particular budget and some preconceived ideas for components. For your question, I want to clarify - do you mean what is the "best" configuration, if price is not a concern? Or do you have a particular budget in mind? If you have a large budget and simply want the fastest system you can get, the advice would be different than in that thread (and fun to spec out ;D).

- Oshyan

EmDee1

Hi Oshyan, I'm afraid my budget's limited :( Can't get higher than 1000 euro. Still: can you give me a PC configuration advice for that budget? And secondly: how would your best PC look like when no budget limits were involved?

cyphyr

Quote from: EmDee1 on April 21, 2010, 10:38:12 AM
... And secondly: how would your best PC look like when no budget limits were involved?
Well if price is no problem :) link
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

leafspring

Quote from: EmDee1 on April 19, 2010, 10:34:22 AM
there have been topics about TG2 changing from 32 to 64 bit, but can this be expected in nearby future, I mean: is this something to consider when I buy a new PC station at this moment ?
It is not really something to consider since all current CPUs are 64 bit processors. So basically whatever you do, you will be prepared. (just make sure you have a 64 bit operating system as well)
Apart from that it is all a question of money. ;)
I don't know all to much about 3D modelling applications in general but I think it can be expected that a lot of them will utilize the GPU or already do which means you should invest in a fast graphics card. Personally I would suggest waiting for the first reliable Fermi generation from nvidia.
Concerning the CPU, Quad core is a must have for rendering. Might even go for six cores if it's budget compliant and since RAM isn't very expensive I'd say 6-8 GB is a good choice.

0.02$
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

Oshyan

TG2 doesn't currently use the GPU very much, a strong CPU is much more important. But if you use other apps that do utilize GPU, that's a consideration for a better GPU. You can always upgrade the GPU a lot easier than CPU, motherboard, or almost anything else though, so you could save money there and start simply and upgrade later.

As for the perfect config within 1000 euro, well I can't really be very specific as I don't know European pricing or where you'll be shopping. But I think if you look for deals you ought to be able to find an i7 860 or 920 within that budget, and that will be your best bet.

- Oshyan

leafspring

Heh, I totally overlooked that you actually specified a budget, sorry.^^
Well, I built my current system ~2 years ago for 900€ including everything except the monitor and it was and still is fast enough for games as well as rendering. Since pricing in this segment is quite constant you should be able to achieve a similar result.
Here is a fast sketch of what I would go for if was building a system right now with average German pricing (I'm sure you could get some of the parts cheaper if you're just looking):
CPU: Core i7 920 - 220 €
Mainboard: Asus P6T SE - 200 €
RAM: OCZ DDR3 4 GB - 140 €
Videocard: If DIrectX 10.0 is enough, go for the Zotac Geforce GTX 275 - 220 €
               else I'd say XFX Radeon HD 5770 - 150 €
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB         - 100 €
be quiet! PSU - 90 €
Tower - 50 €

That sums up to about ~1000 € with the GTX 275 or ~950 € with the Radeon. But like I said, you probably could get it even cheaper. Hope that helps to give you a kind of orientation. :)

cyphyr

If your happy to recycle your existing hard disks, case, PSU and graphics card then you can get the bits to make a very powerful system for not very much at all.
i7 bits n' bobs

*OVERCLOCKED* Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 4.00GHz
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Motherboard
Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 Tri-Channel DDR3 Bundle

£505.98 inc VAT
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

leafspring

Quote from: cyphyr on April 22, 2010, 06:32:35 AM
*OVERCLOCKED* Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 4.00GHz
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Motherboard
Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 Tri-Channel DDR3 Bundle

£505.98 inc VAT
:)
Richard
A note on that nice offer (I'm actually considering it myself  ;D): If you buy these parts separately and overclock the CPU yourself you can even safe another (converted) 80€ - 100€ but of course you wouldn't have warranty on your CPU anymore.

EmDee1

Thank you all for your replies; very helpfull indeed! I'm planning to buy a new PC system upcoming summer. Faster rendering will be my first aim. I'd like to keep you informed of my final choice. Regards, Mario.