Alpine Lake WIP

Started by MGebhart, April 25, 2010, 07:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

This is a start of a project I'm working on. I had a grass population but, I started to get Runtime Errors. So, as soon as I find that fine balance between objects and resources I'll do a large render.
Marc Gebhart

Hannes

That looks really great. Maybe the water is a little bit too rough.
You can try to crop render the image to avoid the errors. That helped me sometimes.

FrankB

definitely interesting mood. This could become a great scene if you want to continue working on it.
For starters, I'd give the exposure one more bump up.
As for grasses: your surface works quite well, but if you want grass models, populate them with the use of a distance shader, until the individual grass cannot be distinguished any more. Then blend into "just surface". The tricky thing is to match moloring so you won't notice that the grasses are not models anymore.

Frank

Henry Blewer

I use Blender to get the RGB values from the grass images of the models for color (moloring? :o) Just import the image into Blender's image viewer, open the color picker, and roll the mouse over the color you want.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

MGebhart

Here is another render with a sparse grass population. Also, upped the camera exposer. Crop rendered in two sections.

I'm going to add more ground clutter and do a large render.
Marc Gebhart

FrankB

Hey Marc, I'm curious: is that my alpine mountain pack in the background?

I think the sparse grass vegetation works well. You don't need millions of grass instances at this resolution.

Cheers,
Frank

bla bla 2

J'aurai ajouté un peu de brouillard, par endroit. Mais, très faible.

MGebhart

@ Frank: The terrain was created by studying your Alpine Pack and building on what I learned. There are small adjustments of my own but, for the most part it's your setup.

@ bla bla 2:Bonne idée. Je vais essayer.
Marc Gebhart

domdib

A nice image - do you have anti-aliasing bloom on, as the water reflection is very 'sharp' to my eye?

Henry Blewer

I like the way the cloud obscures the top of the mountain. The lighting seems quite well done.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Gannaingh

Sweet image! However, to my eye the size of the trees make the mountains in the background appear tiny. This combined with the small scale of the waves on your water give the image a funky feel to it. Besides that The sparse vegetation looks wonderful!

Markal

Looks very realistic....but the fallen tree seems a bit pointy and the angle seems unreal. A cool image...way to go!!

Kadri

Quote from: darthvader1 on April 26, 2010, 08:24:30 PM
Sweet image! However, to my eye the size of the trees make the mountains in the background appear tiny.
This combined with the small scale of the waves on your water give the image a funky feel to it....

This is it ! I didn't commented because here was something not quite right feeling for me . But i couldn't see what .
With other ground textures or placing the mountains further back you can change this quickly . If you want of course , Marc :)

FrankB

well, what if the "mountains" are really hills? that's how I *saw* the image.

Kadri

Quote from: FrankB on April 27, 2010, 03:58:16 AM
well, what if the "mountains" are really hills? that's how I *saw* the image.

Yes me too :) But the snow depicts it is not . Thus i said with other ground texture  ;)