Police Seize Gizmodo Editor’s Computers Who Reviewed iPhone 4G / HD

Started by cyphyr, April 26, 2010, 06:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

Apple really are going down hill, they are getting such a bad reputation it seems. The "we know best what you want" attitude, the way they rip off their customers, the decreased quality of their products such as dodgy LCD screens, overheating problems, wifi issues. It's bad enough being over-charged for a product, the so called Apple tax, but to then find the quality isn't there in all cases really leaves a bad taste.

leafspring

Quote from: reck on April 27, 2010, 06:37:56 PM
the way they rip off their customers
Now if only these fanbo...customers would finally realize they're ripped off...
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

cyphyr

Gosh I didn't expect so much heated debate lol :)
I've never owned any Apple products but I've always loved their "iconic" status. Every they have produced since they started using Jonathan I've has been so "beautiful". Form follows function taken to the n'th degree! I've always wanted one but they have always been "bang for buck" out of my price range. However there are several apps that are mac only that I would love to be able to use, some of the extensions to Mojo for example. I don't really get their obsession with controlling their product (MS and *nix seem to profit well enough and appear fairly open with their technologies) and in this case my concern is their using of state enforcement for something that is essentially a private matter.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

penang

Quote from: neuspadrin on April 27, 2010, 04:32:42 PMAnd lets not forget Apple almost completely died in the 90s for its ignoring developers.
Notty, notty.

Your attempt to rewrite history has been spotted.

Apple almost die because Mr. Steve Jobs was forced out of Apple by non-other than John Sculley, and that Sculley guy almost killed Apple.

Remember that crappy Newton? That was what John Sculley is all about - craps that are far worse than the craps from Bill Gates.

Quote from: Rhalph on April 27, 2010, 01:05:06 PMWhat I was trying to say is that Apple had a webcam ready to work for the iPad. But they choosed to release the iPad without the webcam.
LOL !

Do you know the meaning of this word - Prototype ?

Yes, there was a webcam cum iPhone prototype but it didn't make the final cut - simply because it was not good enough.

Mr. Steve Jobs will never allow the Apple trademark be stamped with products that are not-good-enough.

Maybe in the near future another version of iPhone cum webcam would be sold with the Apple trademark stamped on it, maybe it would be "good enough" for Steve Jobs at that time.

Maybe.

As for what "good" means to Mr. Steve Jobs, you gotta ask him. He set the standard, not me. :)

Quote from: neuspadrin on April 27, 2010, 04:32:42 PMa lot of things osx did was taken from linux in the first place.
Close, but no cigar. :D

OSX is based from bsd. Another variant of *nixes, not Linux.

Quote from: reck on April 27, 2010, 06:37:56 PMThe "we know best what you want" attitude, the way they rip off their customers
To be fair with Apple - can you name *ONE* commercial entity which is NOT ripping off its customers?

Microsoft?

IBM?

Adobe/Sun?

HP?

Sony?

Of course, that still wouldn't justify Apple's ripping off their customers. That I agree.

Quote from: cyphyr on April 27, 2010, 08:08:08 PMGosh I didn't expect so much heated debate lol :)
Nah, Richard.

It ain't heated, I rather use the adjective lively. :D

neuspadrin

Quote from: penang on April 27, 2010, 08:22:19 PM
Quote from: neuspadrin on April 27, 2010, 04:32:42 PMAnd lets not forget Apple almost completely died in the 90s for its ignoring developers.
Notty, notty.

Your attempt to rewrite history has been spotted.

Apple almost die because Mr. Steve Jobs was forced out of Apple by non-other than John Sculley, and that Sculley guy almost killed Apple.

Remember that crappy Newton? That was what John Sculley is all about - craps that are far worse than the craps from Bill Gates.

Steve jobs != apple.  Apple is the company, and yes they almost died in the 90s because they took bad turns and ditched one guy who made them semi profitable.  And steve jobs still != apple.  I disagree with how people seem to worship him when its so easy to see how much elitist crap mac seems to spew out at times.

And yes microsoft has had its bad times (windows ME), but you also have to look at why microsoft grew to be HUGE and used everywhere and why mac's are still niche. 

Quote from: neuspadrin on April 27, 2010, 04:32:42 PMa lot of things osx did was taken from linux in the first place.

OSX is based from bsd. Another variant of *nixes, not Linux.

I know that, but what I'm saying is some ui development they took in recently for osx is from the beryl/compiz project that were happening on linux.

penang

Quote from: neuspadrin on April 27, 2010, 08:59:59 PMSteve jobs != apple.  Apple is the company, and yes they almost died in the 90s because they took bad turns and ditched one guy who made them semi profitable.  And steve jobs still != apple.  I disagree with how people seem to worship him when its so easy to see how much elitist crap mac seems to spew out at times.
I never say Mr. Steve Jobs = Apple Corp.

But without Steve Jobs, Apple Corp would be like ... er ... Symantec (the maker of Norton Utilities).

See how Symantec has performed without Mr. Norton?

No, Mr. Norton ain't Symantec either, but they (Mr. Norton and Mr. Jobs) are like the SOUL of the company. Without them, the company withers.

Quote from: neuspadrin on April 27, 2010, 08:59:59 PMAnd yes microsoft has had its bad times (windows ME), but you also have to look at why microsoft grew to be HUGE and used everywhere and why mac's are still niche.
LOL !

Ever wonder why Apple keeps on doing so well despite in the niche market?

Or perhaps ... it's by design?

Why conquer the whole world (like what Microsoft did) and put out craps and garbages (WinME isn't the only crap btw) while you can home in a niche with products that are designed to work the way they should?

Quote from: neuspadrin on April 27, 2010, 08:59:59 PM

OSX is based on bsd. Another variant of *nixes, not Linux.
I know that, but what I'm saying is some ui development they took in recently for osx is from the beryl/compiz project that were happening on linux.
Sorry for the mis-communication. :D

Now that you put it that way, I agree. :D

And compiz ain't the only gem Apple has picked. They have used quite a number of stuffs from KDE / Gnome as well.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Just wanna add this - not from me --->

http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/news/2244089/top-ten-biggest-egos-technology?page=6

Scroll down and look at who is #1.

"If there was any debate over who would be at the top of this week's list, it was over in about five seconds. How do you not recognise an ego so powerful it can distort reality?

Jobs is very good at what he does, and he most certainly knows it. While the engineers and developers get their due, you know that virtually every release from Apple, be it a new iPod or a TV ad, has Steve Jobs's fingerprints all over it.

To have this level of control over a company needs a supreme confidence in your own abilities. Those who have worked with Jobs will attest to his ability to slam anything he doesn't believe in and tirelessly sell his own ideas to others. Reporters who spoke with Jobs back in the 1980s when he still gave interviews say that he was constantly asking what was being said about him, both good and bad.

Perhaps the greatest contradiction about Jobs is just how fiercely he guards his private life. While fellow business icons Richard Branson, Larry Ellison and Mark Cuban make their leisure pursuits public business, the rest of the world would be very hard pressed to know just what Jobs does when he leaves the office.

No other person in the business is as visible within his company - and as invisible outside it - as Steve Jobs."

Rhalph

Ok penang, I'm really sorry, but considering your posts (and particularly this one that I know remember), I have to categorize you in the "troll" category and ignore your posts.

penang

Quote from: Rhalph on April 28, 2010, 02:10:22 AMOk penang, I'm really sorry, but considering your posts (and particularly this one that I know remember), I have to categorize you in the "troll" category and ignore your posts.
Obviously you are not sorry.

But then, I ain't gonna miss you either. :D

Oshyan

Hmm, this thread has strayed a bit, eh? Perhaps you guys can agree to disagree and get back to the (IMO) more interesting issue of journalistic protection vs. felony involvement vis-a-vis this search-and-seizure.

- Oshyan

leafspring

So, back to the incident then.  ;D

A short additional information that is not given in the linked article. (unless they updated it without me knowing):

"The raid that San Mateo area cops conducted last week on the house
of Gizmodo editor Jason Chen came at the behest of a special
multi-agency task force that was commissioned to work with the
computer industry to tackle high-tech crimes. And Apple Inc. sits on
the task force's steering committee."

Quite interesting in itself, isn't it? Big companies as part of the head of a law enforcement committee.
In this case obviously using the given power to pursue own interests.

Kadri

Quote from: Oshyan on April 28, 2010, 02:25:23 AM
Hmm, this thread has strayed a bit, eh? Perhaps you guys can agree to disagree and get back to the (IMO) more interesting issue of journalistic protection vs. felony involvement vis-a-vis this search-and-seizure.

- Oshyan

This is not criticism on what you said Oshyan , but so as you said it , it looks as " issue of journalistic protection vs. felony involvement vis-a-vis this search-and-seizure" is a much easier subject to agree ! LOL  ;D

neuspadrin

Hahahahaa, oh man I'll just keep my mouth shut but that about sums it up for me thanks Seth.

Also side note, my friend got kicked out of a apple store.... for bringing the console up on a demo mac (just the console program, nothing else done).  Mac idiots thought he was trying to hack the system or something, but he just wanted to see what the console looked like.

leafspring

Quote from: Seth on May 10, 2010, 05:22:18 PM
http://www.protocolsnow.com/2010/04/17/how-i-went-from-apple-store-newbie-to-lifetime-ban-in-one-week/

;D
The apple dork (guy #1) is answering like a mindless machine. ;D
Anyway, they should begin to hang up sign at the apple store. "Please leave your free will at the entrance."