What operating systems do you use Terragen on?

Started by Oshyan, April 27, 2010, 12:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What operating systems do you use Terragen on?

Mac OS 9
1 (0.7%)
Mac OS X
25 (17.5%)
Windows 2000
4 (2.8%)
Windows XP
28 (19.6%)
Windows XP x64
9 (6.3%)
Windows Vista 32 Bit
10 (7%)
Windows Vista 64 Bit
13 (9.1%)
Windows 7 32 Bit
8 (5.6%)
Windows 7 64 Bit
74 (51.7%)
Linux (Wine)
9 (6.3%)
Other
0 (0%)
Windows 98
0 (0%)
Windows 8
5 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 143

MKE

Quote from: MKE on September 27, 2011, 06:56:32 AM
It's surely not as good as a real Linux Version of TG2 but it works.

Hmmm... It works but it seems that the translation of wine slows down very much the whole rendering. So rendering on my half year old 6-core Windows-PC is faster that on the one year old 16-core high performance Linux processing cluster. Wine makes TG2 running there but it's far away from making a Linux-version of TG2 dispensable.

Kind regards,
Martin

reck

Quote from: efflux on July 19, 2011, 03:20:58 PM
The lack of working on Linux is the prime reason I'm not using TG2 anymore.

It's a shame that your choice of OS is dictating what software you're using. If you want to use TG2 just duel boot into Windows.

I sometimes use Linux but there's just so much that won't run that it remains something I boot into now and again alongside Windows.

AndyWelder

Isn't it time Win8 is added to the list of OS's? Who knows, someone might actually use Terragen with it....
Now seriously: I did run TG2 on the Dev Preview and have to admit it did run very smoothly. In my enthusiasm to test Win8 I forgot there was a render on its way and it wasn't till after I installed a couple of programs that I did remember the render... Didn't notice a significant slow down while running the installers. On Win7 I would never try to run anything next to TG2 because I did try once and the installer took forever to finish.
And about Win8: Well, that's not running on my machine anymore because I think it's fine for smartphones and tablet-pc's but not for the traditional desktop/notebook.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Kadri

I voted for Windows 7 64 bit then , but now i am using it on Windows 8 64 bit .

On W7 when i used 7 of 8 cores (quad core with hyperthreading) it was rougher when i rendered with TG2 .
I had to manually uncheck one core from rendering.
Now in Windows 8 it is so smooth i do not have to do anything.
Nothing scientific but Windows 8 runs smoother as it seems multy threaded programs to me.

Andy i do not use the Metro interface.
Beside that there is not a start option on the bar it is nearly the same as Windows 7 to me...and a little faster and smoother.

Thelby

I am little late to this, but I use;
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
The Vista is a Q6600. The Windows 7 Home is an i7 830 system and the Windows 7 Pro is an i7 2600 System.

baranbaran

bobbystahr

Just to update I'm using Windows 10 Pro and it's very nice.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

masonspappy

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 16, 2016, 07:09:41 PM
Just to update I'm using Windows 10 Pro and it's very nice.
Same here. Both systems.  1st time I upgraded to W10 I got quite a few TG3 crashes, but they've pretty much disappeared now. Don't know why. But then I never did understand computers. I just assume they're the devil's handmaid and let it go at that. 

Kadri

Time for a new poll especially while after the free Windows 10 upgrade time is over?

Oshyan

Quote from: Kadri on July 30, 2016, 01:43:54 AM

Time for a new poll especially while after the free Windows 10 upgrade time is over?

Yes, not a bad idea as we may be making some platform support changes for TG4...

- Oshyan

ajcgi

Cool. I'm predicting support for Irix, Solaris and OS2. Right? :D
Though that does hint that you are dropping support for something old... say XP. Or Vista.

Oshyan

Definitely Irix! Still close to my heart as a pioneer in the graphics industry. :) Matt, on the other hand, would almost certainly say AmigaOS.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on August 01, 2016, 01:59:01 PM
Definitely Irix! Still close to my heart as a pioneer in the graphics industry. :) Matt, on the other hand, would almost certainly say AmigaOS.

- Oshyan

Hear hear...same roots for me...still have my pair of A2000's
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sjefen

Should we update this poll?
I'm wondering how many are using Windows 10 now??  :)

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB