What operating systems do you use Terragen on?

Started by Oshyan, April 27, 2010, 12:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What operating systems do you use Terragen on?

Mac OS 9
1 (0.7%)
Mac OS X
25 (17.5%)
Windows 2000
4 (2.8%)
Windows XP
28 (19.6%)
Windows XP x64
9 (6.3%)
Windows Vista 32 Bit
10 (7%)
Windows Vista 64 Bit
13 (9.1%)
Windows 7 32 Bit
8 (5.6%)
Windows 7 64 Bit
74 (51.7%)
Linux (Wine)
9 (6.3%)
Other
0 (0%)
Windows 98
0 (0%)
Windows 8
5 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 143

piggy

Quote from: reck on May 06, 2010, 03:36:13 AMEdit: Just noticed one poor sap is using Terragen 2 with Mac OS 9,  ::)

Unfortunately they did not offer Win 98 as an option or I would vote on that as well.

One of my old computer, still working, has Win98SE and TG Classic.

Oshyan

I wasn't sure if Classic still worked on 98 or I would have added it. Probably works on 95 too. :P I'll add 98 just for fun...

- Oshyan

piggy

Quote from: Oshyan on May 08, 2010, 07:14:09 PM
I wasn't sure if Classic still worked on 98 or I would have added it. Probably works on 95 too. :P I'll add 98 just for fun...

- Oshyan

On 98SE (Second Edition) yes, it worked with TG Classic, with occassional crash (out of memory).

domdib

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

terranim

It's been quite a while!

I have been an Ubuntu user for some time (now running Lucid 64-bit) and although I have occasionally tested Terragen 2 in Wine I have always had issues with the GUI. Out of curiosity I have just tried loading a version I already had installed (probably not the latest) and suddenly it appears to be working happily! It seems the recent updates to Wine have fixed the GUI rendering issues - see the attached screenshot!

The only remaining problem is due to the fact that Terragen uses the alt key as a modifier to allow the mouse to move the camera in the render preview, but alt and mouse drag under Linux allows you to drag a window. Scratch that, I've just found the key binding stuff in the preferences window which means I can re-assign it to ctrl-shift, much better, nice work guys!

Hopefully this means I can start playing with Terragen again :)

Regards,
Dan

Goms

harr... thats great news!
if i get it to run too, ill make some test-renders on win7 and ubuntu 10.10. :)

anyway, there should be a linux version too in future!
Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

FrankB

hmm, I just don't get why one would abandon TG2 just because you liked Ubuntu. I mean, why not run a second box with window on it or get a mac?  It's just too interesting to not have it, that's what I think.

Frank

Goms

Tg2 is the reason for me to keep my dual boot system. ;)
but look at it this way: i think its a bit annoying sometimes that i have to reboot to play with tg2.
also, if you have no Win running, why buy a whole OS, just for one program.
or even buy a mac?

which is, considering all possible solutions including waiting for a linux package, the worst imho :P

Goms

copied the tg2 folder to my ubuntu partition, marked as executable and loaded with wine. :)
Works fine on maverick 64!

jbest

I use a tiny laptop; its processer is 1.1 GHz, and 504 MB of RAM. It's also only a single-core computer (Windows XP). That's pretty slow, so I usually render my Terragen 2 pictures on a bigger, faster computer that's got 2.6 GHz, (Windows Vista), Dual-core, and 2 GB of RAM. And I just realized I voted 64-bit Vista but that compute ris 32 bit. Oops.
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

Zairyn Arsyn

Quote from: jbest on October 31, 2010, 08:35:48 PM
I use a tiny laptop; its processer is 1.1 GHz, and 504 MB of RAM. It's also only a single-core computer (Windows XP). That's pretty slow, so I usually render my Terragen 2 pictures on a bigger, faster computer that's got 2.6 GHz, (Windows Vista), Dual-core, and 2 GB of RAM. And I just realized I voted 64-bit Vista but that compute ris 32 bit. Oops.

jbest, that's similar to what i first started using TG2 on, it was a older dell laptop with a single core 1GHz and 1 gig of ram, ( that was before i purchased deep with animation)
after the laptop, i got a new custom built system.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Zairyn Arsyn

64bit Terragen2 will only run on 64bit versions of windows (XP/vista/Win7)

32bit Terragen2 will run on both 64/32bit editions of windows
Quote from: Yusuf Mohammed on May 09, 2011, 03:52:49 PM
Windows 7-32 bits

is it windows 7-64 bits, all the programs are available for it?
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

efflux

What version of Wine are you people running where the icons issue is fixed? I'm not using Ubuntu anymore. I'm using Debian Wheezy (testing) 64 bit. I like Debian better now. It's simpler and easier to tweak than Ubuntu. Wheezy has wine 1.0.1-3.1. I just had a problem with the Nvidia drivers in the latest update and had to drop to using the open source driver. By chance I tried TG2 32 bit and it actually worked. It didn't with the Nvidia drivers. This will be due to open GL and 64/32 bit problems. I still have the icons problem and I can't open TG2 files without a crash for some reason. Is anyone using the 64 bit TG2? I can't install that because I'd need to copy over from 64 bit Windows. I am assuming installing 64 bit TG2 will not be possible and I need the dlls anyway. I guess I could install TG2 on someone elses 64 bit computer to copy over for a test. However Windows computers are disappearing around here. I am convincing everybody to use Ubuntu. It's snowballing massively because I installed Ubuntu on a reasonably fast Sony laptop and I added an SSD. After years of problems and slow speed they could not believe the new speed and reliability. Now everyone wants Ubuntu.

The lack of working on Linux is the prime reason I'm not using TG2 anymore.

MKE

Quote from: Goms on October 31, 2010, 06:11:54 PM
copied the tg2 folder to my ubuntu partition, marked as executable and loaded with wine. :)

Hej, that's great!!! I didn't know about the possibility to run Windows software with Wine on Linux. We have a fast Linux cluster using openSuse and now I can run my animation there with a higher "niceness" for not disturbing the people who do "real work" there. Great.

There are some problems with the TG2 preview window but the rendering works fine. So I can test everything on my own machine and then let the animation run on the fast cluster. Thanks to the forum for the information about wine! It's surely not as good as a real Linux Version of TG2 but it works.

Martin