what gamma correction

Started by kasalin, April 27, 2010, 04:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasalin

Hi,

do you change the gamma value (2.2 standard) or not....
in TG classic I always changed the gamma to about 1,5  (good for me)

FrankB

I experiment with it in some scenes. I usually set it to anything between 2.0 and 2.2, very rarely below 2.
You just have to figure out what looks best per scene.

Regards,
Frank

Oshyan

I find it better to render and save out to EXR and adjust gamma, exposure, etc. dynamically, or even tone map.

- Oshyan

Walli

I second that, render to exr and you can do all kind of that color/brighntess/contrast manipulation without destroying the picture.

Rhalph

I think I had some problems with EXR and Photoshop, I had more banding than in the BMP saved render.
Anyway, even if I do two renders a year (::)), as in TG classic I usually set gamma to a low value.

kasalin

what does render to exr mean ???

Rhalph

EXR is a file format.
It is used for HDR images: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenEXR

Saving to EXR will allow you to store much more color information than in BMP, provided you have an image processing software that can open it.

kasalin

how do I get such high images ???

kasalin

resumme: you render and save it by default... then you change the contrast, etc in a graphics programm , correct ??

leafspring

Depends on what you are planning to do.
To actually view or print your image on a standard monitor/printer you have to convert it to a format with 8 bit color depth per channel (HDR is 16 bit). To do this you use a graphics program (like Photoshop). Typically you would use tone mapping to map the 65535 color values per channel to 255 per channel.
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

kasalin

Wonderful and very qualified answer.... top !!!! thanks !!

Oshyan

After you render, when you go to save the image, there is an option to choose the format. Simply change it to EXR. You will need a program that can open and adjust it properly. Photoshop works well, XNView will open and do some basic manipulations, there are many others.

- Oshyan