How do I get a round stone ??

Started by kasalin, April 28, 2010, 12:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasalin

I have created a MOLA MAP with mars surface as you see.
I tested to create a rock object as individual on it.
It was o.k. as you see the rock on the mountain... but the rock is not round.....

How do I get a round stone of it ???
I pasted the coordinates in the box below and changed the scale parameters, at last I changed the seed.

What can I do that the stone doesn't look so ???

----------------------------

Now I tried to make of the surface shader in the menue of the rock a fakes stone shader.... played with the details..... now the stone is dark grey and always the same figure as before.

How does this stone get round and look like a stone in nature ?

Thanks a lot.

[attachthumb=#]

Henry Blewer

The fake stone shader needs to have an input for the surface shader. This breaks up the rocks color and displaces the geometry for a more natural feel.
I create a new Surface Layer where the input box says Surface shader just below the seed input. Open this new Surface Layer and add a power fractal to the surface layer's color input. Pick a color for the Surface layer, then pick a slightly different color for the power fractal. The colors can be very different if you like. Now click on the displacement tab of the surface layer.
Assign the same power fractal to the displacement input that you used for the color in the surface layer. I use a displacement value about 1/3 of the fake stones shader's Stone scale. So if the stone scale is the default of 1 try 0.33.
The last part is for the fake stone shader. Remove the check mark from the Blend as stone density at the bottom. Go to the color tab and pick a main color for the fake stones. Now click on the shape tab. The tallness adjusts to height of the stones. Pancake effect flattens the tops. I don't use the separate geometry or only displace upwards. Separate geometry doesn't seem to work for me, don't know why.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

I think she was using a rock object, Henry, not fake stones.

Henry Blewer

Wouldn't the same technique apply?

kasalin

What kind of power fractal shader (assign shader/ create shader --> colour or displacement ???) ??

Could you explain that more detailed ???

thanks

kasalin

didn't understand that part:

Assign the same power fractal to the displacement input that you used for the color in the surface layer. I use a displacement value about 1/3 of the fake stones shader's Stone scale. So if the stone scale is the default of 1 try 0.33.
The last part is for the fake stone shader. Remove the check mark from the Blend as stone density at the bottom. Go to the color tab and pick a main color for the fake stones.

????????

cyphyr

If you are using the Rock object try increasing the "Number of Faces" to say 200 and tick "use smooth normals". This will create a much more rounded rock but you'll still have to add a texture in the surface shader tab to achieve more realism.
Hope that helps
Good luck
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Henry Blewer

A power fractal is a power fractal (I think). For using it for color only, you have to un check the use displacement check box. If you want only displacement, turn off (un check) the color checkbox.

I create a power fractal for the color input. I reuse the same power fractal under the surface layers displacement tab. The color information depends on the scale, lead in scale and smallest scale of the power fractal. This gives the size information (coverage) for the color texture. This also affects the displacement the power fractal uses.

So, if you have a fake stone shader with a Stone scale of 1, the power fractal can have a scale of 1. A lead in scale of 3, and the smallest scale I use is 0.01. These numbers sometimes work nicely. I zoom in on a rock (fake stone) and test, then change the values until it looks right.

The check box for the 'Blend as stone density' is at the bottom of the fake stone shader. If it is left checked (on), the fake stones have a tendency to explode (displace into a crystal like mess).

Henry Blewer

Thanks Richard. 8)

I don't use the rock object. It does not give me good results, but your tip may solve this.

kasalin

Hi all,

thanks so far..... now I set the number of faces to 300 and ticked use smooth normals !!!

Then I chose under the box surface shaders: Fake stones shader 02_1_1_1_1, there chose Rocky_Layer_1_1_1_1_1_1
and unchecked blend as stone density ...to the Rocky Layer was added a power surface shader !!

Maybe now I should corrigate the coordinates of the stone again for a better position, what do you think ??

See my pic now.... the stone looks much better than before.... nice one, isn't it ??

To njeneb:  I know what you mean with power fractal shader.... but I wanted to know what kind of power fractal shader to choose

(... assign...  ,  create colour.... or create displacement, you understand )

thank you all here for your engagement !!

[attachthumb=#]

Henry Blewer

I generally use both aspects of the power fractal. Even if the displacement is set to 0.001, it still adds some detail. As you learn to use more of the program, things will start to 'click'. It becomes very intuitive.

Seth

errr... why don't you use the sphere object ?
I mean you want a round stones... so a sphere is just good enough, isn't it ?

kasalin

Hi,

a sphere is round but I don't want the stone to be regular round, a stone like in nature!!!!

Seth

apply a Powerfractal to it and it's not round anymore.

kasalin