What data does Facebook publish about you?

Started by Kadri, April 28, 2010, 02:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

I have twitter and don't use facebook. One is silly, the other useless.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

otakar

Found an interesting article here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/195710/yes

The privacy settings do enrage me. It's obviously a scheme to prevent as many people as possible to lock their data down. I love the idea of a social network, but this opt out business practice really impacts the level of trust I am willing to extend. While it may be painful to have to delete an account, that time may come. The trouble is, your data is likely still out there in their database even if you take that step. The genie can never be returned to the box.

neuspadrin

Mine shares basically nothing.  Because

a) i never use it except to track down an acquaintance or group members for projects at school
b) i set all my privacy settings to strict levels
c) i only share the most basic information i wouldn't mind sharing with someone i just met for 30 seconds.

It is a pain that facebook keeps adding new privacy settings and then "defaulting" it to public.  Really pissing me off.  I'm just too lazy to go through and do the work to delete my account properly basically.  

FrankB

Quote from: Kadri on May 15, 2010, 04:15:50 PM

...!

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Facebook-Mark-Zuckerberg-Social-Networking-privacy-security,news-6794.html

well I dunno... can the source be trusted? The internet is great at spreading rumours and lies, so I'm critical as to the truthfulness of this IM excerpt.
And lastly, it's true that the major problem with FB privacy is that everything is set to the lowest privacy setting (no privacy) by default. I think it's easy to correct, though, and then it's just a lot of fun IF you stick to not posting stuff that you would feel bad about telling a complete stranger. People are just too open about themselves, because they don't know better.

Kadri

Quote from: FrankB on May 18, 2010, 06:02:46 PM
Quote from: Kadri on May 15, 2010, 04:15:50 PM
...!
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Facebook-Mark-Zuckerberg-Social-Networking-privacy-security,news-6794.html
well I dunno... can the source be trusted? The internet is great at spreading rumours and lies, so I'm critical as to the truthfulness of this IM excerpt.
And lastly, it's true that the major problem with FB privacy is that everything is set to the lowest privacy setting (no privacy) by default. I think it's easy to correct, though, and then it's just a lot of fun IF you stick to not posting stuff that you would feel bad about telling a complete stranger. People are just too open about themselves, because they don't know better.

I asked my students  ( high school ) if they would give their birth date to some stranger who asks in the street . They said of course no!
But when i asked if they did put their birth date on Facebook they said yes ! They do not think what they do is the same and even much worser thing .
After i give this example , they see what i mean . Interesting  :)

FrankB

education on data protection is very important these days. As the example with your student shows, they are not prepared. I teach my kids these things wherever I can. They are allowed to use social networks, but must keep privacy settings high, and learn not to post anything private or important. But still, these networks are great for helping maintain a lively social life with many people at once - I have learned to understand the benefits of it from my kids, actually. Now that I'm using FB too, I think it's a great thing, but it's true you have to be careful. Not only because of the privacy settings, but also a healthy mistrust to the service provider is important. If you think twice about which messages you send, what you write in chats, and of course posts, and what you choose to "like", is all not privat necessarily.

With these things in mind, though, you can safely enjoy the benefits that remain.

Regards,
Frank

Kadri

Quote from: FrankB on May 19, 2010, 02:41:43 AM
education on data protection is very important these days. As the example with your student shows, they are not prepared. I teach my kids these things wherever I can. They are allowed to use social networks, but must keep privacy settings high, and learn not to post anything private or important. But still, these networks are great for helping maintain a lively social life with many people at once - I have learned to understand the benefits of it from my kids, actually. Now that I'm using FB too, I think it's a great thing, but it's true you have to be careful. Not only because of the privacy settings, but also a healthy mistrust to the service provider is important. If you think twice about which messages you send, what you write in chats, and of course posts, and what you choose to "like", is all not privat necessarily.
With these things in mind, though, you can safely enjoy the benefits that remain.
Regards,
Frank

I absolutely agree , Frank !
I think this is the same altitude that makes them think that when they do something on Messenger for example , can not be traced to them.
There is a false safe feeling . It is an interesting thing ...
As humans we are only 20 years or so in this kind of interaction . There will be problems  :-\

Walli

for many people internet is a "virtual world", similar to a computer game. So the risk also is just virtual. People will have to learn that internet is real, and that there is real risks - and of course benefits.

Just take a look around and see how many people use wireless without protection. It´s new technologies and people have to learn the pros and cons.

Kadri

Quote from: Walli on May 19, 2010, 06:50:57 PM
for many people internet is a "virtual world", similar to a computer game. So the risk also is just virtual.
People will have to learn that internet is real, and that there is real risks - and of course benefits.
Just take a look around and see how many people use wireless without protection.
It´s new technologies and people have to learn the pros and cons.

I like technology and do everything i can to fallow. But using is another thing.
I stay away so much i can from wireless. Our PC room(!) is full of cable  :)

"Facebook mulls U-turn on privacy"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10125260.stm

Kadri

I found this interesting from a scientific aspect ! I wonder how many studies are made with these  kind of sites.
How much can tell Google about us and so ?

http://www.allfacebook.com/2010/05/facebook-knows-that-your-relationship-will-end-in-a-week/