Crash on startup

Started by Emayem, April 29, 2010, 05:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emayem

Not sure what's going on here, Terragen 2 was working perfectly fine this morning and last night without any major hitches.

This afternoon I ran windows update, restarted and CHKDSK sniffed around my harddrive. When I started up again, my monitor was unrecognised by my computer (took a while to sort that) so I installed the latest ATi drivers for my (gaming) graphics card. A few other programs on my PC decided to go against me as well. Most of it's sorted now but Terragen 2 will just completely fail on startup and close.

tgdcli gives me the following:
Content path for "Project" set to "C:\Program Files\Planetside Software\Terragen
2 Deep Edition\Terragen_2.ucr\Generic\"
Content path for "Project" set to ""
An unhandled exception occurred.

then closes. I thought it was just an error in the program and tried to reinstall, but it just happens again. It doesn't seem like this is related to my new graphics card drive to me, but maybe it is. I'm just looking for some advice before trying anything else to fix it.

Oh but on a side note it starts up with -nonetworkview and -no3dpreview when they're both used, but not seperately.

Oshyan

If the "minimal" commandline version works, it sounds like it might be graphics driver related. Does it give you a specific error message when it crashes? Does it mention a graphics driver DLL perhaps? If you go into the Graphics Driver options and turn down Acceleration to 0 does it fix the problem? Is the driver you installed a beta driver? If not, is there a beta version available that is newer?

- Oshyan

Emayem

No, it's just the latest non-beta driver available. I've tried reducing the hardware acceleration to no avail.

I DID however get it to work starting in no network no preview, then pressing new project THEN opening preview and network, it worked fine.

It's stopped working even doing that now, though. I might rollback my drivers and see what happens, though I can't remember which ones I had beforehand.

Oshyan

Very odd behavior. Again, there is no additional info provided when it crashes?

- Oshyan