Further Feature Requests

Started by cyphyr, March 05, 2007, 07:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

After a long weekend rendering the midnight oil I came up with some more of the dreaded Feature requests, some have been heard before I'm sure:

Multi Populate: The ability to select a number of objects to be populated withis a single. Putting down several layers in the same plave with different "seed" values dos'nt always give an even distribution.

Colour picker: The ability to pick a colour from any open window, including windows open in other applications.

Image editing: The ability to modify the hue, saturation, contrast, lightness and gama of an image on the fly. Usefull for matching image textures to the world they are in.

Directional Distribution: The ability to specify distribution according to the headings of a terrain (this can probably be done through functions now anyway). Would be usefull to have populations on, say, predominately the south side of a terrain, Vineyards anyone?

Manual Crop Marquee: The ability to define a preview crop marquee by, for example, shift click dragging in the preview window.

Are these reasonable requests or are there reasons why this kind of functionality is beyond the limits of the current itteration of TG2.

Richard Fraser
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dark Fire

I think a reasonable number of the suggestions will make it into TG2, but I particularly like the 'Manual Crop Marquee' idea...

rcallicotte

Multi Populate:  Not sure I understand this one.  Explain?

Colour picker:  I've read talk from the Planetside staff about what might be done.

Image Editing:  From what I've heard, Planetside is steering clear of most software issues not related to terrain building or rendering, but maybe this one would be an exception.  Photoshop seems to work for these things.

Directional Distribution:  Sounds like it might be able to be done already, but haven't done much with functions yet.

Manual Crop Marquee:  Hey, I like this one.  Wonder if it's feasible...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

I also have another request

I would like to see som controls over Aligning, Distributing and Duplicating objects

I came accross couple of situations where I wish I had those tools to do the job rather than manually importing same object 5-6 times and arranging them.
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

Copy and Paste doesn't work for copying an object?  Really?  I can't try it where I am right now, but it seems like an individual object should be capable of being copied and then pasted.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

QuoteMulti Populate:  Not sure I understand this one.  Explain?

It would be very usefull to be able to make a single population from a number of differant sources, so for instance you could have one population instance containing say 3 or 4 differant tree sources all conforming to the same scale and distribution settings. At the moment if I want to create a forrest I need to add many populations in the same place and mess with the seed values to get realistic distribution. This would not be necessary if multiple population sources could controled through a single population controler.

Richard Fraser
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Cyber-Angel

I think that the term your looking for with "Manual Crop Marquee" is called "Area Selection in other software which works just in the way you describe.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

neon22

Personally I really want to be able to rotate heightfields

DiscoBall

Mm. Keeping in mind about heightfields, how about a visual modifier? Like the one in TG0.9, where you could hold down left mouse to make terrain go higher; hold down right mouse to make terrain go lower.

If you could rotate it and 'modify' it in 3d, that would be awesome!

Dark Fire

Quote from: DiscoBall on March 07, 2007, 06:50:53 AM
Mm. Keeping in mind about heightfields, how about a visual modifier? Like the one in TG0.9, where you could hold down left mouse to make terrain go higher; hold down right mouse to make terrain go lower.
I think that Oshyan mentioned that a similar feature was planned for TG2...

Quote from: DiscoBall on March 07, 2007, 06:50:53 AM
If you could rotate it and 'modify' it in 3d, that would be awesome!
I agree.

jo

Hi,

These are all good suggestions, and none are unreasonable. Just some info on a couple :

Quote from: cyphyr on March 05, 2007, 07:39:32 AM
Colour picker: The ability to pick a colour from any open window, including windows open in other applications.

The Mac version colour picker can already do this. We just use the normal OS colour pickers, and the Mac OS one has this capability.

Manual Crop Marquee: The ability to define a preview crop marquee by, for example, shift click dragging in the preview window.

That's definitely coming. Not in the next update, but not too soon afterward.

Regards,

Jo