NWDA & Planetside Animation Contest Announcement!

Started by Tangled-Universe, May 02, 2010, 06:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

one of the things I'm most interested in besides the actual winner animation, is the making-of story that Mike Bedford will put together for plugs'npixels

Cheers,
Frank

Hetzen

There's some realy good entries there, and some worthy winners too.

As for the animation side of things being a problem, I don't think that really is the issue. It's more of having a concept which is explorable for 30 seconds to a minute. Storyboards to me are a number of guide frames broken down into the time they are meant to keep the viewers interest. I don't think that's realy a Terragen problem.

I can understand maybe the thinking behind the competition, in coming up with a show case animation that promotes all products involved, or at least giving the means to the budding artist to exploit those tools to their potential. I'm quite sure this will be achieved.

I agree though, the initial breif is an interesting problem to explore. But I do think that the step into frames from stills is a little alien to most users at the moment, and gentler steps may have been an easier concept to grasp. Especially when in reality, most applications of TG into a work flow of such a period frame time, would be just several layers in many compositions. Which would involve many bespoke shot dependent projects, rather than just one.

Animation of TG's power is very much in it's infancy at the moment. Hanne's animation of sails and wake is a prime example of what can be done. But to think larger, you need to be able to rely on a bank of 'textures' for the smaller stuff. I personaly didn't have the time to dedicate to this. I don't have a bank of textures to call upon to help with fore, mid and far. And kudos to those that did.

Good luck guys. Great work there.

plugsnpixels

Based on the submissions I see, I'll be proud to feature the winner on the cover of the next Plugs 'N Pixels ezine as well as in the making-of feature!

I'll be in touch with the eventual winner regarding the specs of the images I need for publication and to request a little write-up about themselves and their TG2 process.
Free digital imaging ezine
www.plugsandpixels.com

jbest

when will the votes be cast?  ;) Do the animations need to be made first?
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

cbest

Terragen: the universe in 56 kilobytes.

FrankB

We have a quite a few judges and not everyone seemed to be available in the last 24 hours. We'll give them a little more time to reply wit their votes. It will not be long, I'm sure.

Regards,
Frank

dandelO

Quote from: cbest on August 17, 2010, 12:46:39 PM
Yeah, this is taking a long time!

You do know this is the Terragen forum, Cbest? In here, patience is your best friend. ;) :D

otakar

The entries are spectacular. I really wanted to be there at the end, but at some point you just have to accept your limitations. Unfortunately, one cannot slow down time :)

Just finishing it is an accomplishment, people. I'll be glued to this place to see the animation posted.

FrankB

Hi everyone,

again, thank you for your participation and interest in this challenging contest. The judges have cast their votes now. Besides the NWDA folks and Oshyan, we would also thank our sponsor judges Stephen Schmitt and Stewart McSherry, who have both donated some really cool prizes to make this challenge even more compelling!

Before I disclose the winners, let me point out again that the voting was really a thriller for me. I've added new votes as they were cast, and some images changed places over and over again. In the end, the judges votes 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for almost all image submissions - which means that almost everyone of you who sent in their storyboards, was among some judge's top 3.

But now let's turn to the winners:

1st Place: Ulco Glimmerveen with "Garden of Eternity"

Ulco's "Garden of Eternity" is of obviously high quality and detail, and has enough of a mix of terrain, vegetation, and other object elements, not to mention great variety and atmosphere, to be our top pick. The way Ulco puts together complex scenes amazes us, and there is a wonderful sense of magic and mystery in this.

2nd Place: Jani Peltola with "Ancient Valley"

No matter how you look at it, it seems that Jani's "Ancient Valley" has something that pulls you in, and you can imagine flying across this beautiful landscape quite easily. We start from high above with amazing clouds rolling over a mountain summit, and consequently we descend through forests and over a lakeside. And all the time the image elements are well done and fit together nicely.

3rd Place: Greg Sandor with "Road Trip"

Greg's "Road Trip" was a close challenger to 2nd place, I was afraid we might have a tie while I was summarizing the scores. It also got a few first place votes, so you can see how close this must have been.  That being said it's a remarkably convincing scene, it has a mundane, almost incidental reality to it that really got us. The love and attention to details is very apparent in this storyboard, and it was a great pleasure to see it's development here on the Planetside Forums.

Lastly, I would like to sincerely thank Hannes Janetzko with his "Carribean" work, which also got decent scores from the judges, and which amazed many of us here on the forums as well. Then, Balázs Pál's "Naodel Canyon" is a beautiful work and was great fun to follow its development. Let's not forget James Fullen's "Mountain Air" and Lane Henderson's "Forgotten Forest" which both also emanate a great sense of magic. Lane must have created one of the most read forum topics of all time on this forum, I believe. With his frequent updates we really became part of the creation process :) - What I really liked was Jahnu's entry to the contest. Jahnu was relatively new to this forum but despite this, he took the challenge and created his own storyboard of a fantasy world. I'm sure Jahnu you had a great experiences and learnings along the way.

Please join me in congratulating the winners and all other participants!

Best regards,
Frank

PS: Winners will be contacted for receiving their prizes.

Dune

Hey guys, this is great! I'm really thrilled. I have no words

Perhaps some icons better express my feelings  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to all voters, and I can really imagine that almost every entry got at least some first votes. Congratulations to all who entered, I know (now) that it's quite some work and serious thinking to put together a nice storyboard.

---Dune

ps. I'm glad I was online when this  came on.

jbest

This contest was really fun, and challenging. I very much enjoyed this experience. Congrats to Dune, your pic was really great. Thanks to everyone who supported this contest, it was superb. I learned a lot of stuff.
Heard of computer graphics? CG? Terragen 2, the landscape generating program, also known as TG, a whole cool way to create realistic CG - with TG.

Kadri

Congrats to Dune , Jani , Greg and to all the other participants  :)
This was a journey i enjoyed to follow all of the entries ! And the results are very nice!

gregsandor

Congratulations to all the entrants, and thanks to everyone on the forum for the help over the years and to NWDA and Matt, Jo, and Oshyan.  I just brewed another pot of coffee (added another 54 electrical utility towers this morning!) and I'm glad I checked in to the forum.

reck

Really well done to everyone that entered, the submissions are of an extremely high quality. Also thanks to NWDA for organising this and to Stephen and Stewart for some really awesome prizes.

domdib

Congratulations to all the participants, and to the winners. Look forward to the animation!