Spacemen shortfilm

Started by Walli, May 02, 2010, 11:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walli

Why I post a link to this film? Because I have been involved ;-)
Its a spare time film project and I have been working on a lot of the CG backgrounds and effects. And I have a small appearance as a birdbrained slugger.
http://www.vimeo.com/11387021

It´s german, so here a short breakdown: The two heros have a "space accident" and loose their cargo. Their client is a person with a lot of connections - so they have to somehow get replacement.

Walli

Some stills from the movie

Kadri

Nice as a Fan film Walli !
Acting was so so! Green screen was really problematic and distracting ; parts  of the actors were cut out !
Do you know why Walli ?

I think the best aspect is the 3D part .

Can you share more detail about this film? How long it took , how much it cost , what software you used , hardware and such?

Walli

the film was shot on an old sd cam, even the "tape drive" was broken, so the footage was directly captured on a small notebook. And as lighting wasn´t optimal, keying was not an easy task (it never is with such cams), especially considering the fact how much footage we had to key.
So in my eyes the weakest parts are keying (some scenes work well, some other its clearly visible) and probably the sound effects. Some people say the actors "overact", I think this is because several of them do theater/stage acting where you have to overact so that people can see what you do with your face ;-) But I think this is a nice "touch".

The post team consisted mainly out of the director and me. Daniel who had the idea together with the director made some nice concepts at the beginning and he made one of the outdoor shots. And he acted as Vandoo. Robert did one of the interior shots (the pan inside the "shopping mall" from 5:30 to 5:34). Bernd helped recording some of the background persons sitting or walking around.
So I did modeling, texturing rendering and compositing, the director did cutting, sound effects and some color work. Keying was done by me and him.

The idea started three years ago, but because of time problems the team rapidly got smaller. The main actors lived in a different city and so it was hard to bring all together, so even some of the actors did change. Actually the project almost was dead, but was resurrected with some changes of story (shorter).

Putting a price tag on something like that is hard. I know that many projects claim 0$, which is crap in 99,99% of time. I think the main expenses we had was for cloth (greenscreen and also black cloth). Probably 300,-. Another 100,-$ or so had to be payed for one of the locations I think. For the CG part I used the same hard and software that I use for work, so I only had to buy a plugin for about 100,-$. Ah , and some of the overalls, which are cheap woker overalls. The pilot suits also are overalls with some old climbing straps and plastic tubes.
The front part of the cockpit has been roughly build from plywood, but is entirely replaced by cg. The back of cockpit is cg, the only remaining part are the seats - which are old desk chairs with some extra metal rods and styropor as neck rest.

If this project had started two years later, then the look would have been different. Instead of a sd cam, a Nikon DSLR with HD video would have been used for filming, so the shots would have looked nicer and the keying would have been an easier task.

I used Cinema4D for modeling and some of the rendering, most interior renders I did with VrayforC4D. For compositing I used good old Combustion4. At the beginning my CoreDuo workstation was used, later on a mac pro.

Kadri

Thanks Walli :)

And "the film was shot on an old sd cam, even the "tape drive" was broken,
so the footage was directly captured on a small notebook.
" does this mean you captured the footage
directly from the monitor of the laptop , Walli?

Walli

yes, I think it was VirtualDub or something the like, it directly captured the stream that came from the camera and displayed it at the same time on the laptop. Don´t ask me how often I fell over cables ;-)

Kadri

;D

Edit :  Will there be subtitles Walli ? 

Walli

I will ask the director. Actually at the beginning the dialogues where done in english - but because of time reasons it was decided to do it in german.