Winter Town

Started by Dune, May 08, 2010, 02:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mor

Dune

A 'little' update on my winter town. I made some more boats, some other houses and the 'ophaalbrug' (bridge). Still needs a lot of work, but I'm getting there.

domdib

I think the patchy snow on the roofs works well except with the house in the immediate foreground, where it's close enough to expect to see some displacement.

Kadri

Nice progress  :)
Dune i looked to some "ophaalbrug"' photos on google but i couldn't make my mind. Does it look a little too narrow (for the boats ) or is it OK?

Henry Blewer

I think you may be right about the cloud quality affecting the shadows for them. It may also be the atmosphere quality. This is coming along very nicely.
I am not sure how to get the snow to drift up against the houses. I  think an image map for a power fractal may work. The image map to control the location and the power fractal for the displacement.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

QuoteDoes it look a little too narrow (for the boats ) or is it OK?

It is OK, but only just!

Dune

@Henry: I changed atmo quality to 64, and it's better now. I have to be very careful though with what I all put in, as it's a very heavy burden for my cpu/memory. Without preallocating memory, it crashed yesterday. With allocating it rendered fine at 2000px wide. There are maybe 60-70 objects plus one pop of trees. And I need to make this a big one (5000px wide). I hope it'll work out. I repainted all the image maps, with a tiny edge of snow at the wall bases.
@Domdib: You're right, I have to do that.

Henry Blewer

Maybe rendering the image in sections (crops) would help with the memory issue. I have found that reassembling a large image using Corel Paint does not leave color issue from one crop to the next. I overlap the crops at the edges. I use horizontal render crops also, instead of vertical sections.

Dune

Yes, that might be what I have to do if it fails; crop. But for now it is going well at 2200 px wide. And quite fast at that: 1 hour at detail 0.5 and AA 4. No GI, but three extra lights. If I save as BMP or TIFF I can easily put them over each other with a little soft edge in PS. By the way; there are 109 objects!

Henry Blewer

It's really quite beautiful.

domdib

One other thing - I see you're already intending to work on the smoke from the chimneys - perhaps a little browner??
But overall, it's a wonderful render.

Dune

I finalized my Winter Town. Due to copyright restrictions I can't show him here in all glory, but here's some crops. I only painted in some people and wood near the wharfs, some extra smoke, and the antique cart, the rest is TG. Suffice to say that I am very happy with this great piece of software. Heep heep hooray!

---Dune

Dune

crop 1 and 2

Kadri

Your crops are nice too , Dune  :D