Decisions, decisions...

Started by Harvey Birdman, March 09, 2007, 10:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

So I just purchased my reg key to 0.9 (oh boy oh boy oh boy), and am considering upgrade paths, timing, etc. I'm hesitant to make the move to 2.0 now. I'm in an early development stage on a project I expect will stretch out for over a year, maybe 2. I can produce usable product w/ 0.9. 2.0 would be better, but I'm wary of spending time learning to use, and building custom tools to support the use of, a product that's in a state of flux. I don't want to see my own schedule affected by external factors like changes to a tool. (Also, is the image size restriction lifted when 2.0 is registered?)

So what do you think? Am I being unnecessarily cautious or appropriately prudent?

red_planet

Yes the restrictions on size are lifted..

and, personally speaking of cours,e...I would say that investment in TG2 would be worthwhile, you can still continue with your 0.9 project and learn the new system in "spare time".

Rgds

Chris

cyphyr

Hi Harvey
TG2 is a world away from the old 0.9x flavours. There is a wealth of tools available for the 0.9x versions however as people migrate over to 2.x then support for the earlier plugins will start to wain. I believe (although I dont know) that there will start to be plugins for automating process, camera animation and inter application asset usage comming out this summer. I asked in another thread wether the file formats are likely to change throughout the development cycle and was told that Planetside will try to keep it constant and where that is not possible they will provide tools for conversion. The current state of development for TG2 already allows a lot of possibilities that are not available in any other software on the market and at a price that is not unreasonable, I think we can expect to see quitre a hike in price for the final version, but the early addopters will already be on board so we wont have to pay for any of the 2.x upgrades. Although many of the principles in TG2 have been borrowed from 0.9 they are so much more advanced that, imho, there is little other than your general skill and general understanding of the process that you will be able to bring from the old version to the new versions. That said you can of course create some stunning scenes with 0.9. I would, again imho, advise taking the plunge now and realy start to get to grips with TG2. I'm sure you wont regret it.
Happy rendering
Richard Fraser
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

Harvey, if you have the money, now (I think) is the time to buy TG2.  The biggest reasons I can think of are:

1.  It's inexpensive now, since it is is still a preview.  The price will go up, once it goes live.
2.  The developers, testers, and brilliant community are here now to help us all learn about its intricacies as well as help us with fundamentals. 
3.  This is, more or less, on the ground level of the program, which is a great privilege.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Thanks for your input, folks. Red_Planet - spare time... yeah, now that's amusing.

:)

That's part of the issue. I don't want to learn two systems if I can avoid it. I just don't have time. That's why this is an issue. Having identified TG as a solution to a problem, I don't want to invest time in .9 if I can get better product with 2.0; I don't want to invest time in 2.0 if it's going to be time wasted as the product changes.

Too early in the morning for a beer; so much for my usual decision-making strategy...
;D

Volker Harun

Cheers Harvey!  ;D ;D ;D

I broke with TG0.9 two years ago - for personal reasons.
Now with TG2TP: After two weeks reading the available tutorials I produced a render that made it on planetside's gallery and terranuts' front page. And it was a noob's second serious render ,-)

If I had a serious project, that takes that long - I would go for it with TG2 - no question!
The animation tools are not comfortable - yet. The water system is - errr - rudimentary. But as long as you do not have fancy hardware and you have spent money on good RAM, there is no alternative in my point of view.

Regards,
Volker Harun

Mohawk20

Indeed, a long term project would greatly benefit from usage of TG2. First of all because the system is not so hard to understand, and as Volker said, making great images in early stat is quite easy.

Secondly, if you want to make a really great scene in TG 0.9, you need a lot of time to practice and learn. A lot of tricks that you learn over time in TG 0.9 are easy to do in TG2 in just a few steps.

So if you want an amazingly good result in relatively short time, TG2 is the direction to go, moreso because TG2 just starts at the point where TG 0.9 can't go any further.

I say take the risk!
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Understanding .9 will help a lot with TG2.  I'm just thinking about your billfold and the opportunity.

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on March 09, 2007, 11:03:40 AM
I don't want to learn two systems if I can avoid it.

Harvey Birdman

Yeah, I hear you. I have an interview for a part-time contract dev position this afternoon. If I get the contract I will probably upgrade immediately.

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Harvey Birdman

I may need it. Just went to trim my mustache and trimmed my upper lip instead. Not bleeding TOO much...

;D

duff

lol I'd sue the makers of the trimmer. That should easily cover the cost of TG2.

Costaud

Quote from: calico on March 09, 2007, 10:37:31 AM
1.  It's inexpensive now, since it is is still a preview.  The price will go up, once it goes live.

Not too much I hope :(

rcallicotte

I'd count on a big jump.  This baby is worth a lot.  Look at the marketplace and see what TG2 can do in comparison.  But, I honestly don't know.  Without the bugs and all the promised settings in order and working fine, I'd bet close to $1000 retail.  I might even be low.

Quote from: Costaud on March 09, 2007, 04:45:46 PM
Not too much I hope :(

Harvey Birdman

<Dr. Farnsworth>

Good news, everyone!

</Dr. Farnsworth>

Got the job, bought the t-shirt....

;)

Perfect deal. Work at home part time, so I can spend the majority of my time on my own projects but still make enough to pay the bills.  I'm off to buy my 2.0 registration.