Planetside Software Forums

General => Open Discussion => Topic started by: rcallicotte on December 04, 2007, 01:01:31 pm

Title: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on December 04, 2007, 01:01:31 pm
Which game do you think is better or best and why.

I have only played the demos of CoD4 and Crysis.  While I like the Crysis visuals, my P4 3GHz, 2G of RAM couldn't handle very much and Call of Duty seemed to play much easier.

Am I the only one not dedicated to not updating a computer every two years?
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: dhavalmistry on December 04, 2007, 01:06:55 pm
thats a tough question...in your case I would go with UT3 because you can play the whole campaign mode online with your friend and COD seemed too easy and shot for me compared to previous version of COD
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on December 04, 2007, 01:16:10 pm
Graphics all alike, more or less?


Quote from: dhavalmistry on December 04, 2007, 01:06:55 pm
thats a tough question...in your case I would go with UT3 because you can play the whole campaign mode online with your friend and COD seemed too easy and shot for me compared to previous version of COD
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: dhavalmistry on December 04, 2007, 01:33:07 pm
in graphics part...I am gonna rate

1. Crysis
2. UT3
3. COD4
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on December 04, 2007, 01:40:32 pm
I've always liked the gameplay of the Call of Duty series.  It sounds like that has diminished some.
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: dhavalmistry on December 04, 2007, 01:43:47 pm
yea cod2 was way too intense than cod 4
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: Seth on December 04, 2007, 02:04:30 pm
COD4 rules on PS3 ^^
i saw Crysis but i wasn't so astonished than when it was on preview...
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: sjefen on December 04, 2007, 02:08:10 pm
I've only played CoD4, but that's just because I play games on my PS3 and I don't think Crysis or UT3 are available for the PS3. They look nice and I look forward to UT3 when it comes ;D
Anyways..... CoD4 is just fantastic.
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on December 04, 2007, 02:10:39 pm
Yeah, if I understand you correctly, I thought the preview was awesome, too.  Now, I wonder about it, having played the demo and it was fine...buy didn't rock my socks off.   :D

Quote from: seth93 on December 04, 2007, 02:04:30 pm
COD4 rules on PS3 ^^
i saw Crysis but i wasn't so astonished than when it was on preview...
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: dhavalmistry on December 04, 2007, 02:24:59 pm
I just suck at first person shooters on consoles...I cant aim my gun properly so I always prefer my keyboard and mouse for FPSs
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: Will on December 04, 2007, 02:59:41 pm
Far Cry 2 will rule them all! find a video of the demo and see.
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on December 04, 2007, 03:03:22 pm
I prefer the PC as well.


Quote from: dhavalmistry on December 04, 2007, 02:24:59 pm
I just suck at first person shooters on consoles...I cant aim my gun properly so I always prefer my keyboard and mouse for FPSs
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on December 04, 2007, 03:04:36 pm
Yes.  As long as the game play is fun.  I liked F.E.A.R. at first, due to the gameplay and excellent graphics.  Eventually, the slowdown on graphics became a source of grief.


Quote from: Will on December 04, 2007, 02:59:41 pm
Far Cry 2 will rule them all! find a video of the demo and see.
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: PG on December 04, 2007, 03:16:36 pm
Based on graphics, gameplay and replayability I'll go for;

1. Crysis
2. CoD4
3. UT3
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: moodflow on December 04, 2007, 08:01:58 pm
Sadly, I upgrade my PC about once a year due to neccessity.   :-[

Otherwise, salt corrosion will eat it up (I live near the pacific ocean).  Here's what happens:  PC's work fine for about 10 months, then all of the sudden, weird things start to happen, then they eventually crash.  I've since installed A/C and air filtering, but it only slows the inevitable.

I just had my first occurance last week (on my Aug 2006 PC).  PC wouldn't POST.  Ended up having to replace the mobo...$180.  When I was disassembling the PC, I found a huge clump of salt crystals in the case on some of the cards.  Youch!


Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: moodflow on December 04, 2007, 08:03:09 pm
Ohh and I've tried both Crysis and CoD4.  I think CoD4 will be my BF2 replacement, and Crysis... well its gonne be another fun adventure to go on (the last being Oblivion).
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: nvseal on December 04, 2007, 08:57:02 pm
I havent' played COD 4 or UT 3. I have played through Crysis and loved it. I don't have the worlds best computer either. All my computer can handle was all low settings, and still had a great time (although that also means I had none of the awesome physics  :-[). In terms of graphics, Crysis wins hands down -- if you have a computer that can handle it at a decent frame rate  :P. I've seen a lot of peope talk about the story in Crysis, I actually enjoyed it. Sure, it may be the most incredible must see story ever but it's not as bad as a lot of people have cracked it up to be. I really liked how the story escalated. And I loved the hunter  ;). Far Cry 2 looks pretty fantastic too. I'm really looking forward to that.
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on December 05, 2007, 08:54:46 am
That's good to know.  I love BF2 and have found nothing to replace...not sure I want to find something to replace it.  <shudders>

Quote from: moodflow on December 04, 2007, 08:03:09 pm
Ohh and I've tried both Crysis and CoD4.  I think CoD4 will be my BF2 replacement, and Crysis... well its gonne be another fun adventure to go on (the last being Oblivion).
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on December 05, 2007, 08:57:02 am
Amazing!

Not to find out exactly where you live, but is it north of California?  I'm wondering about the high humidity due to the Pacific Ocean near Washington, etc.



Quote from: moodflow on December 04, 2007, 08:01:58 pm
Sadly, I upgrade my PC about once a year due to neccessity.   :-[

Otherwise, salt corrosion will eat it up (I live near the pacific ocean).  Here's what happens:  PC's work fine for about 10 months, then all of the sudden, weird things start to happen, then they eventually crash.  I've since installed A/C and air filtering, but it only slows the inevitable.

I just had my first occurance last week (on my Aug 2006 PC).  PC wouldn't POST.  Ended up having to replace the mobo...$180.  When I was disassembling the PC, I found a huge clump of salt crystals in the case on some of the cards.  Youch!



Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: moodflow on December 12, 2007, 05:59:22 pm
No, its Southern California, near the border.  The friggin' sea air!

But I moved here to surf and kiteboard, and its pretty nice for those things...

Quote from: calico on December 05, 2007, 08:57:02 am
Amazing!

Not to find out exactly where you live, but is it north of California?  I'm wondering about the high humidity due to the Pacific Ocean near Washington, etc.



Quote from: moodflow on December 04, 2007, 08:01:58 pm
Sadly, I upgrade my PC about once a year due to neccessity.   :-[

Otherwise, salt corrosion will eat it up (I live near the pacific ocean).  Here's what happens:  PC's work fine for about 10 months, then all of the sudden, weird things start to happen, then they eventually crash.  I've since installed A/C and air filtering, but it only slows the inevitable.

I just had my first occurance last week (on my Aug 2006 PC).  PC wouldn't POST.  Ended up having to replace the mobo...$180.  When I was disassembling the PC, I found a huge clump of salt crystals in the case on some of the cards.  Youch!




Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: dhavalmistry on December 15, 2007, 03:05:00 pm
just realized something.....

UT3 also comes with Unreal Editor and there are loads of customs maps and mods available on the net for UT3...and also ofcourse you can make your own maps...I just started using the editor 2 days ago and it is absolutely fantastic....I am hooked onto it...I made a simple map and havent got a change to test it on any machine other than my own....if you would like to test it...just let me know and I will upload it....

does crysis come with an editor???...I know COD 4 doesnt...
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: Oshyan on December 15, 2007, 03:27:50 pm
Crysis comes with an outstanding editor. I haven't tried the UT3 editor, but if it's anything like previous UnrealEngine editors then I'd say Crysis is leaps and bounds beyond it *in terms of outdoor environments*. For indoor or smaller outdoor spaces Unreal may be better, but for handling large terrains, instancing, terrain editing, etc. the "Sandbox 2" Crysis editor is amazing.

- Oshyan
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: king_tiger_666 on January 31, 2008, 06:17:17 am
ut3 was a big let down imo, it wasn't any different from un2004 except visually... same game play which gets old fast if you've played un2004...

crysis looked alright but i guess you need a top notch pc with a 24+inch screen to enjoy it fully with eye candy..

played about 2minutes of cod4 demo.... just a re-badged bf2 better graphics and different setting...
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: Will on January 31, 2008, 06:45:23 am
COD4 it great but the demo sucked, the multiplayer is great but you need to put time in to get the unlocks. Singleplayer was fun it mostly small squad shoot the whole way except for the US campaigns in which you play a marine the rest it all either you and a spotter playing a sniper or you acting with four other guys as the SAS.
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on January 31, 2008, 09:46:40 am
I like CoD4.  Fun.  Short (singleplayer), but fun.  Worth the time.
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: mr-miley on February 19, 2008, 11:04:11 am
COD4 every time. I thought Crysis sucked. core2duo, 3GB ram, ground my pc to a halt. If you have just bought £2000 worth of gaming PC with twin SLI setup then it would probably be good, otherwise.... I didn't find COD4 too easy, but then, I always start a "new" game on Hard setting and when you get into some of the big fire fights inCOD 4 on Hard setting, they are pretty damn intense. I quite likes MOH Airborne too. Mind you, I much prefer good gameplay over great graphics. I have tried some fantastic looking FPSs and not even bothered to go past the "training" level cause the gameplay sucked soooo much. UT3.... well what can I say? More of the same, but thats cool cause it has some of the best gameplay around, very smooth to play and it gets quite intense at times. Mind you, I cut my teeth on the original UT (still one of the best games ever made). Saying that, if I want to go wayyyyyy back to a mispent youth, I realy started on FPSs with the original one that started it all off Wolfenstein!! I wore out 2 mice playing that game... Ahhhhh what fun.

Tell you what. The end of last year I played Quake 2 again, just for fun. I just goes to show, a well written game with good (no, outstanding) gameplay will live forever. I realy enjoyed it (and am sad enough to have remembered some of the levels) and it doesn't half fly on a 2 x 3GHZ Zeom PC with 3 GB ;D
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on February 19, 2008, 11:59:29 am
mr-miley - Do you remember the original Delta Force?  Not great graphics, but was the first fun FPS with freedom to roam and pretty good AI.  I loved the freedom and the "realism" then.  I say "more of these, please".
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: nvseal on February 19, 2008, 12:09:19 pm
Quote from: calico on February 19, 2008, 11:59:29 am
mr-miley - Do you remember the original Delta Force?  Not great graphics, but was the first fun FPS with freedom to roam and pretty good AI.  I loved the freedom and the "realism" then.  I say "more of these, please".


Yes, great game.
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on February 19, 2008, 01:23:40 pm
Oh, to have more of that.  I felt like I was in the middle of real action in that game.  Hiding out, going under water, shooting through weeds, hiding in weeds, going the long way around to get the objective - it was all brilliant.
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: nvseal on February 19, 2008, 01:30:22 pm
Quote from: calico on February 19, 2008, 01:23:40 pm
going the long way around to get the objective


The best part, I remember doing that almost every time. Trying to do that without getting caught was almost more fun than the combat itself.  ;D
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on February 19, 2008, 01:47:41 pm
I agree.  The best multiplayer I may have ever played, except for maybe BF2.  Getting an organized team and facing another organized team could go on for hours without any objections from me.  Sniping took on a new meaning, when I could go the long way around and get them from behind.   ;D  Flanking, baby!!
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: mr-miley on February 20, 2008, 03:53:17 am
Yep, I played the original Delta Force to death. Must admit, it was nice to be able to roam, and to be able to go the long way round, gets you away from the eeejuts with you who always get in the way  ;D
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on February 20, 2008, 08:39:00 am
I'm amazed someone hasn't come up with something like that didn't worry about all of the pretty frills.  BF2 was a lot of fun and sort of went along the same lines of freedom to roam and strategies. 
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: Will on March 05, 2008, 08:20:37 pm
Tribes was a good game...
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: rcallicotte on March 06, 2008, 09:01:45 am
Yep.  Tribes was fun.  Therein is the clue to what I like.
Title: Re: UT3 or CoD4 or Crysis?
Post by: Will on March 06, 2008, 02:53:29 pm
you like....lines!