Ants Final

Started by MGebhart, April 29, 2010, 10:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Quote from: freelancah on May 02, 2010, 12:28:37 PM
Wow. It looks even better. How the hell did you figure that out dandelO :D

Well, everyone knows to use the translucency channel for grass/leaves etc. What's stopping it being used on any other model? It might not be physically correct, but it looks fine to me. :)

dandelO

More quick experiments with the ant. This time the values are more sensible.

Default colour map = 0.15
Translucency(no map) = 1
Displacement = 0.01 (via power fractal function, scales; 0.1, 0.1, 0.01).

[attachimg=#]

* Marc, sorry for hijacking. That'll be it here. :-[

MGebhart

It's interesting you went from 250 to a value of 1 on the translucency. The power fractal works well however, I'm kind of torn between the first Anty and this one.

Thanks for going the extra mile.

I don't consider this hijacking, it's more contributing.
Marc Gebhart

dandelO

Well, there's no right or wrong way really. The first one had very little of the colour applied to the model so 250 was needed, here, much more colour is applied so a translucency value of 1 works fine. It's just a matter of balancing the orange glow of the colour map to make it not overly bright. :)

I might try a minute close-up render myself soon. Got to go, back later maybe...

Kadri

It looks like something between the first and your last try would be very near to the real thing , DandelO ?

http://www.wikiwak.com/image/Meat+eater+ant+feeding+on+honey02.jpg

MGebhart

I made a Displacement map and applied it.

This is my effort.
Marc Gebhart

MGebhart

Marc Gebhart

Oshyan

This is starting to look amazingly good. The last full render had some really realistic looking ants IMO. The newest iterations with displacement and adjusted translucency may be even better but I do wonder if the more subtle effects and particularly the displacement will be visible without a closer camera perspective. I also think the lighting might be a bit too bright and even in the overall render.

Perhaps it would be good rather than applying general DoF to the current image to instead find a different lower camera PoV and render that with some nice DoF, thus highlighting the great detail on the ant model while also getting that nice DoF effect. If nothing else I'd say adjust the lighting a tad to be slightly less bright and even, and then render with the latest ant adjustments.

- Oshyan

MGebhart

Oshyan,

Is this what you had in mind?
Marc Gebhart

inkydigit

especially excellent render!

Henry Blewer

That's a photo! ;D Really nice work!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Seth

damn !!!
good render Oo

Oshyan

Yes, something quite like that. :)

- Oshyan

Kadri

I only saw the green grasshopper now . Nice image , Marc  :)