World-Machine v2.2 released

Started by Tangled-Universe, May 02, 2010, 06:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Yes I do use those, so probably that's the cause.

leafspring

I'm thinking about getting world machine. What I'm not sure about: Is the pro edition worth the 100$ it costs more than the standard edition?
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Rimmon on May 04, 2010, 05:44:55 AM
I'm thinking about getting world machine. What I'm not sure about: Is the pro edition worth the 100$ it costs more than the standard edition?

Or make the 2nd best animation in the contest :)
Pro offers multi-threading, 64-bit and tiling of terrains over the Standard Edition.
So if you find these important then I'd choose for Pro.

leafspring

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 04, 2010, 06:06:33 AM
Or make the 2nd best animation in the contest :)
Sounds like a plan.  ;D

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 04, 2010, 06:06:33 AM
Pro offers multi-threading, 64-bit and tiling of terrains over the Standard Edition.
So if you find these important then I'd choose for Pro.
Well, that's what I am pondering on. Does working with WM actually benefit from these features?
Anyway, since WM is upgradeable I might as well get the standard edition first and see if I miss these features anywhere.

Tangled-Universe

That sounds like good reasoning.
In my experience so far the multi-threading pays off, especially when using erosion-filters and macros.
64-bit is really useful when working with either very complex networks, when building highly detailed terrains or both together.
A "regular" 4096 size terrain quickly uses >2GB of memory for example.

leafspring

Rhalph

Quote from: Rimmon on May 04, 2010, 05:44:55 AM
Oooooh yes.

Seth

i really need to get this software...

domdib

Pity you can't enter the competition, Seth. But there's always an alias... ;)

Seth

domdib

Quote from: FrankB on May 03, 2010, 12:51:50 PM
Are you using slope constraints for the snow layer that uses intersection, Martin?
If yes, this is the answer, and secondly if you get much closer to any of these spots, you'll be able to see the issue more clearly.
Slope constraints and intersect = not a good idea.

Cheers,
Frank

Frank, I'm surprised you're so definitive in this statement - isn't it (as in a lot of instances in TG2) rather dependent on the scene, and also on the nature of the snow distribution? For example, the image below couldn't have been made without slope restrictions and intersect both on; without intersect, it doesn't look half as good. (Incidentally, it uses Martin's Snow pack, although the intersect settings have been tweaked).

Tangled-Universe

Ghehe, yes Frank can be a bit too definitive some times, but essentially he's right when you examine the result in close up.
Often silver-ish artefacts surround the intersected pieces which look awkward in close-up.

However, like you have proven yourself and I have shown in some other images as well (not snow, but also rock-surfaces) you can make it work.

sjefen

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 04, 2010, 07:41:14 AM
In my experience so far the multi-threading pays off, especially when using erosion-filters and macros.

Can I ask how to install these macros ???. I have tried and failed so many times I'm starting to think I have another software or something.
I found this and here it says: "To install a macro you've downloaded from someone else, simply copy or move the macro file into the /library folder underneath the directory you installed WM to."

In my World Machine directory there are no folder with such a name. So where do I put them?

Regards,
Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Seth

check your document folder, there should be a WM2 directory created

jaf

WM 2.2 has a new install where it gives suggested paths for folders like Macros.  You can customize these paths during the install.  I happened to use c:\GRAPHICS\WorldMachine which was already present and it created "World Machine Documents" with Macros, Presets, and Examples as subfolders.

Not sure what the default path was, but if you find "World Machine Documents", you should see "Macros" off of it and that's where the macros go (at least on win platforms.)

[edit] sorry Seth, guess I was posting at the same time you were.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02