Render error

Started by RichTwo, May 06, 2010, 09:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

[attachimg=#]
I don't know if this has been addressed before - I didn't research the history in this section.  For "A" I did a full render, quality set at 0.8 detail / anti-alias at 8, image size 1024 X 768, no cropping.  Note the void in the terrain.  "B" is a cropped render, close to the size you see here, same settings and look -  there is no void.

I am using the latest release, rendering with the evil ray-traced shadows off.  I have saved the .tgd, closed Terragen, and restarted it and ran both renders again.  The same thing happens.

Just curious if this is a known bug or am I missing something?
They're all wasted!

Tangled-Universe

Which raytraced shadows were disabled?

RichTwo

Oops - my mistake - Ray-traced shadows on!  It was the even more evil ray-traced objects - and GI surface details I left unchecked , too.  Though I still don't know what the difference would be between doing a full or cropped render.

Thanks!
They're all wasted!

Oshyan

Try increasing Displacement Tolerance in your Planet Shader node. 1.5 or 2.0.

- Oshyan

RichTwo

Thanks Oshyan!  I never knew the Displacement Tolerance adjuster existed - or what it was for.  I have been trying to use quite a few displacements in some of my projects.
They're all wasted!

Oshyan

It was added to address some of these "cut-off" or "missing" displacement issues that occur particularly with heavy/significant displacement, or when lots of smaller displacement shaders are involved. It does increase render time but can often mean the difference between a successful render and a useless one in these cases.

- Oshyan