the kill (wip) help needed.

Started by Kevin F, May 23, 2010, 02:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Here's a new one that's been giving me problems. Anyone know how to improve the dust clouds in this image? What I want is  more localised puffy plumes of dust without the distinct height cutoff.
The rest of the image needs work as well  - the cat needs a better angle to show it off more and there's a couple of zebra that have merged together. Also the background needs some veg/trees, but the priority has to be the dust plumes.
Any comments, tips welcome.

Henry Blewer

Use a voronoi cell function with the appropriate scale. Add a Get Position In Texture function. Add a Voronoi Cell Noise function. Connect the Get Position function to the input of the voronoi noise. Now connect the voronoi noise to the Blend By Input in the density of the cloud you are using for dust.
Now it's just a matter of adjusting the coverage and scale of the density and cloud shader until it looks right.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kevin F

Thanks njeneb, I'll give it a go.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: njeneb on May 23, 2010, 04:44:00 PM
Use a voronoi cell function with the appropriate scale. Add a Get Position In Texture function. Add a Voronoi Cell Noise function. Connect the Get Position function to the input of the voronoi noise. Now connect the voronoi noise to the Blend By Input in the density of the cloud you are using for dust.
Now it's just a matter of adjusting the coverage and scale of the density and cloud shader until it looks right.

I think that's a rather difficult approach and solution. If it works the result would obviously look very voronoi?

To get more streaky patches of turbulent dust I'd suggest to make a stretched cloudfractal parallel to the direction the zebra's are going.
Use that as a blendshader for the main cloudfractal.
I've made a start for you and attached a clipfile. You will have to adjust scales to your scene of course.

Cheers,
Martin

Kevin F

Thanks so much TU very good of you. njeneb's method is giving promising results, but I'll try yours when I can and get back.

airflamesred

The zebra pose looks odd to me. Please post with the dust results

Henry Blewer

I use the voronoi noise functions for a break up of the cloud layers. It seems to help produce the precular (?) blotchy cirrus clouds. The function also stretches  nice.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: njeneb on May 25, 2010, 08:18:23 AM
I use the voronoi noise functions for a break up of the cloud layers. It seems to help produce the precular (?) blotchy cirrus clouds. The function also stretches  nice.

Ohh wait...you mean similar to the mackarell clouds Matt made some time ago? That makes pretty cool breakup patterns. Wondering though if it is what he needs. Where's your contest WIP by the way, Henry? :)

Kevin F

Here's what I need (thanks njeneb). This is a quick low res clip and it's looking ok so far.
I'll have to try TU's method later when time permits.
Thanks again for the input guys.

Tangled-Universe

Henry Blewer

I have used a mix controller (function) to combine two voronoi noises, b vector and cell. For some reason they seem to cancel each other...

This has come out nicely. The hardest part is getting the scale sized correctly. You seem to have this right.