Professor got his hands chopped off !

Started by penang, July 06, 2010, 01:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piggy

Quote from: latego on July 07, 2010, 03:57:57 AM2) there are catholic extremists that today write books against... Illuminism (with baddies like Rousseau or Diderot or Voltaire); the religious hierarchies are too busy sodomizing boys to go beyond the usual no-divorce/no-abort/no-euthanasia drill;

Since I am a Catholic, I'll answer #2.

So ... Catholics writing books and sodomizing boys (you said that, not me) are as bad as the people who blew themselves up and taking innocent bystanders with them?

Maybe this weekend I'll have a talk with my Catholic priest and ask for the permission to chop off somebody else's hands. :D

Rhalph

Quote from: calico on July 07, 2010, 08:55:22 AM
Argue, if you will; but the conclusion is happening in front of us - look at Europe and Canada and China.
What's happening in Europe, Canada and China?

Kadri

Calico and to the others who think like he : If you read what i wrote i didn't say thay you are wrong.
I said you see only one side of the things . You are complaining about things i see in our country most of the time and since AKP (muslim party) and actually since the 1980 army coup(?) islamic fundamentalism is rising here. There are strong opposition agains it and maybe the election in 2011 will change(hopefully) the future of our land. But these are basic approaches .

What will hapen in the other parts of the world are another thing too...

What the west in general wants and the other political and economik influences , the imperialist attitude of ABD and his company are more important than you think.
So you may be right in your thoughts. But you are looking only on the tip of the iceberg .This is what i want to say here.

So if you say that  " Maybe this weekend I'll have a talk with my Catholic priest and ask for the permission to chop off somebody else's hands." (yes you put a smiley i know that you are not so serious of course :) ) then you are missing the point here .

There are cultural , environmental  and what not other influences and of course religious ones.
I know Germany. I lived there. And i know our country. There are of course differences. Every country has his own characteristic .
So not everyman will do the same in the same position. Look at the world war and how every country fighted.

I want only that you see the other side of the coin. Otherwise i don't like what i see on this side maybe more then you do !

Rhalph

What I find ...surprising... is that Calico seem to think that islam = terrorism. That all muslims are terrorists.

FrankB

Quote from: Rhalph on July 08, 2010, 02:24:41 AM
What I find ...surprising... is that Calico seem to think that islam = terrorism. That all muslims are terrorists.

I don't believe he seems to think that. We need to be careful with generalizations and assumptions in discussions like these.
What I'm getting from his posts so far is that he realizes that Islam is being misused more often these days across the world, to influence and justify people to hate and kill others.  
And as others have stated, other religions are or have been misused in the same way. Now, none of that is good. Freedom and a religion-free (not influenced by religion) education is the only way out of this dreadful development, at least in my opinion. Trouble is that people in most countries of the world will have to a. realize this and b. fight for de-coupling the influence of churches from states and schools.

penang

Quote from: FrankB on July 08, 2010, 03:32:33 AM
Quote from: Rhalph on July 08, 2010, 02:24:41 AMWhat I find ...surprising... is that Calico seem to think that islam = terrorism. That all muslims are terrorists.
I don't believe he seems to think that. We need to be careful with generalizations and assumptions in discussions like these.
What's I'm getting from his posts so far is that he realizes that Islam is being misused more often these days across the world, to influence and justify people to hate and kill others. 
And as others have stated, other religions are or have been misused in the same way. Now, none of that is good. Freedom and a religion-free (not influenced by religion) education is the only way out of this dreadful development, at least in my opinion. Trouble is that people in most countries of the world will have to a. realize this and b. fight for de-coupling the influence of churches from states and schools.

You seems to confuse yourself.

1. Religion by itself is not evil. I am talking about religion, not cults, btw.

2. People will do evil things with or without religion.

3. People will do evil deeds easier with the help of "religion", that is, they hijack whatever religion that's there and use it to achieve whatever they are aiming for - be it chopping off people's hands or people's heads.

4. People who think that they are not religious are only fooling themselves. In crisis the first thing they cry to (or curse at) is *GOD*, believe it or not.

5. There is absolutely no way to completely decouple religion from education. Try it and you will see how dull the thing (education) gets when it is 100% religion-free.

... and 6. I am from a developing nation (3rd world country) with that "ahem" religion as the "official religion" and I can testify to the fact that religions (particularly that "ahem" religion, but other religions as well) have been used to do a lot of bad bad stuffs.

FrankB

Penang, you should try to step back a little from your own pre-occupations and try to understand what I wrote. Religion and spirituality in itself is not evil, I didn't say that. I said religion has been misused.
Because it's easy to misuse religion on people, the best armor agains becoming influenced is by education. Of course this education needs to be religion free, otherwise it won't work. I live in a country where the church has no fundamental influence on politics. In school, they teach religion, but only 1 or 2 hours a week, and you can also opt-out to attend a different class (like e.g. maths). This works very well.

Kadri

Quote from: penang on July 08, 2010, 04:41:37 AM
4. People who think that they are not religious are only fooling themselves. In crisis the first thing they cry to (or curse at) is *GOD*, believe it or not.
5. There is absolutely no way to completely decouple religion from education. Try it and you will see how dull the thing (education) gets when it is 100% religion-free.
... and 6. I am from a developing nation (3rd world country) with that "ahem" religion as the "official religion" and I can testify to the fact that religions (particularly that "ahem" religion, but other religions as well) have been used to do a lot of bad bad stuffs.

These are what the monsters believe too. This is one of the problem.
You are so naive (i mean it not in an insulting way) and not aware what you say.
I am 47 years old and a highscool philosophy ( but i prefer science  ;) ) teacher.
Do you know what i have to endure sometimes in the class .
Nearly all children have religious believes .

But ask about Darwin or Einstein and so , you don't get much back.

No , religion is what makes the education dull...

But when you say it this way then there comes other problems from every religious ones...sigh!
I am too tired about these things realy . Go and educate yourself please.
There is nothing new you can get from religion. All of the knowledge is at least 1300 years old.
I hate it when sombody criticizes science , but when he gets sick he gets all the help from chemistry , physics , technology ...
They mostly don't criticize it when it is used this way .
But say Big Bang or Evolution they get suddenly very sophisticated and religion is full front !

Anyway...

I think i said mostly in a very brief way what i think .  

By the way from which country are you Penang if it is not a problem to say for you?.
You can see from where i am from my profile i think you know!

Peace !

nikita

Quote from: penang on July 08, 2010, 04:41:37 AM4. People who think that they are not religious are only fooling themselves. In crisis the first thing they cry to (or curse at) is *GOD*, believe it or not.
Uh... no.
Also, when I'm saying "Oh my god!" I'm not actually making a statement about god - in the same way that when I say "F**k!", I'm not actually making a statement about whether or not the thing I'm cursing should procreate.
Quote from: penang on July 08, 2010, 04:41:37 AM5. There is absolutely no way to completely decouple religion from education. Try it and you will see how dull the thing (education) gets when it is 100% religion-free.
There is. It's called science and it is not dull, but absolutely amazing! :)

rcallicotte

Simply - I don't want Sharia (or Muslim) law in my country or any other country. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Kadri

Quote from: calico on July 13, 2010, 07:47:27 AM
Simply - I don't want Sharia (or Muslim) law in my country or any other country. 

Me too , Calico !