7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable

Started by Rhalph, July 22, 2010, 08:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

I'm a bit of a ludite when it comes to social technology. My mobile, which I refuse to text on, asks me every time I switch it on, "How are you today?". Eh?. You're a fcuking phone. You wouldn't even understand if I said anything. And quite honestly, it's none of your bloody business....

...now go and order my shopping...

::)  ;) ;D

latego

I really would like all these people who rant against textual communication to feel only once the paralyzing fear shy people like me experience when interacting in person with other ones: after this experience they would think quite differently.

Hetzen

I think shyness is an age thing. As soon as you stop concentrating/worrying on how you are saying something, and focus on what you are saying within context, self doubt is actually a pain in the ass. Text or speach. Not everyone is going to like you, so what?

There are some simple rules to communicating, you have two ears and one mouth. Use them in those proportions.

Rhalph

Quote from: latego on July 22, 2010, 06:19:32 PM
I really would like all these people who rant against textual communication to feel only once the paralyzing fear shy people like me experience when interacting in person with other ones: after this experience they would think quite differently.
I've had a few girlfriends and without Internet I would never have had any at all ;D
So I understand... But I know that my shyness is slowly disappearing thanks to the real people I've met IRL. Textual communication allows to ignore our fears but not to heal them...

latego

Quote from: Rhalph on July 23, 2010, 02:49:21 AM
But I know that my shyness is slowly disappearing thanks to the real people I've met IRL. Textual communication allows to ignore our fears but not to heal them...

I keep hearing this fairytale about getting over... sorry, but when I tried this technique things simply got even worse.

About girls: were I hunted by a band of scimitar wielding Talibans and had to ask a woman for a lift with her car I'd rather wait for the Talibans.

Seth

Quote from: latego on July 23, 2010, 05:08:49 AM

About girls: were I hunted by a band of scimitar wielding Talibans and had to ask a woman for a lift with her car I'd rather wait for the Talibans.

;D